1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-Hit Wonders and songs they made that didn't suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'One Headlight' was a much bigger hit, reached No. 2 on Billboard.
    '6th Avenue Heartache' only reached 25.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No. 2 on this VH1 list is "I Ran" by A Flock of Seagulls, which is ridiculous.

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2013-05-02/100-greatest-one-hit-wonders-of-the-80s/100/

Space Age Love Song is great:

Wishing (Photograph of You) is great:

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I edited that post. You're right. But they were not a one-hit wonder.

4. Songbird

Same VH1 list has Thomas Dolby's 1-hit wonder as being She Blinded Me With Science.

Wrong.

Hyperactive was strong:

5. Songbird

Devo was more than Whip It.

Freedom of Choice was great, if not better:

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Freedom of Choice' is actually the greatest Devo song.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

followed closely by 'That's Good.'

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Men Without Hats -- known for 'The Safety Dance', but had a pretty catchy release four years later with 'Pop Goes the World'

Jesus Jones --- primarily remembered for 'Right Here, Right Now', but I always liked 'International Bright Young Thing'

9. Songbird

Rob Base made it big with It Takes Two but Joy and the Pain was pretty good too.

10. Songbird

John Waite was famous for Missing You.

But he also killed it with Change, which was one of the great sounds on the Vision Quest soundtrack.

11. Songbird

That VH1 list has XTC's Dear God as its one hit but Senses Working Overtime, a great song, came out before then.

Making Plans for Nigel was popular:

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I missed the original premise of this thread. So: "My Sharona" is a fun song to this day, but by the end of its run it was awful to hear because radio grabbed it and shook it and wouldn't let go when it became a monster hit. It still holds up as a great power-pop tune, but who wasn't sick of it by early 1980?

The Knack followed with "Good Girls Don't," as mentioned above, which I didn't like much back then but is kinda OK in retrospect. But the Knack had another song, "Frustrated," that got only a little radio play but was a good track in itself.

I'd like to have instrumental copies of "My Sharona" and "Frustrated" just to hear the Knack stripped bare. The singing style gets whiny sometimes, but that tight, pounding garage-band pulse never gets old.

Draft saved Draft deleted