1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one-hit wonder quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Sep 18, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

John Stofa, early Miami backup. And the Jensen guy (Jim?) too who also played wide receiver.

Marlin Briscoe played some QB for Buffalo and Denver in a pinch.

Tom Matte, Ed Rutkowski.

Clint Longley epitomizes the one-hit wonder, like Clemens. Except Longley won his game.

A lot of guys mentioned on this thread (including Dennis Shaw, my nominee) had fairly solid NFL careers and played a lot for 2-3 years.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Virgil Carter, led the Bengals back from a 1-6 start to win the AFC Central in 1970 under the tutelage of offensive coordinator Bill Walsh. Replaced in 1971 by Ken Anderson.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Sam, can you be called a franchise savior if the franchise is brand new?

Bringing things a little bit more current, how about Mike McMahon. Fifth-round pick by Detroit out of Rutgers (back during the 1-10 years), comes out on Thanksgiving Day and runs through everyone for a near-win. On every play, kid was going to die or make something miraculous happen. Now he's doing the same damn thing in the CFL.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I think the immortal Oliver Luck led the Oilers to their only two wins of the '83 season.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Todd has never stopped at one hit.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The correct spelling is A-S-S-H-O-L-E.

One of the five biggest douchebags I've ever seen. Could count on one hand the number of people on the Jets who gave a shit about him.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Would you like him better if I told you that he nearly ran me over with his car back when he was with the Steelers?

True story. I'm walking in a crosswalk and this car comes speeding up the road. Car jerks to a stop and I look in the window to give the driver a much-deserved dirty look and there sits Neil O'Donnell.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

O'Donnell knew it was time to get out of Pittsburgh when Cowher bought him a real fast motorcycle.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

That would be an illegal formation.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anybody mention Rob Johnson? Somehow the guy finagled a big contract before anyone realized he sucked and made Leftwich look like a god in shoulder pads.

Draft saved Draft deleted