1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

one-hit wonder quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Correction, Tommy MaddoXFL.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fourcade is a nice get. But New Orleans was all about the Dome Patrol during that span ...

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

David Woodley is the answer to the trivia question: Who is the worst quarterback ever to get a team to a Super Bowl. Getting the Dolphins that far with that stiff under center is what convinced me Don Shula was the greatest coach in football history.

4. Wow, former Purdue great Scott Campbell. :D For some reason, when people talk about the list of Purdue QBs who played in the NFL, they usually forget him.

Sticking with the Purdue theme, how about Kyle Orton? I'm guessing he never plays another down in the NFL. Not that anyone was ever excited about him.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Don't forget Mark Herrmann. The triple crown of sucky Purdue NFL QBs.

I lived in the Cleveland area during the Belichick years and one name that will forever burn in the minds of Browns fans is Todd Philcox.

And here's an uber-obscure one ... Ricky Turner. He was the Colts wishbone QB when Ron Meyer used the formation with Eric Dickerson, Albert Bentley and George Wonsley on certain plays in '88. I remember vividly that the Colts used it quite a bit in a game at San Diego ... and it worked.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

whatever happened to Anthony Wright? Billy Volek? Eric was it Zook? (the guy who played at Georgia then played in Cleveland)?

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I believe Anthony Wright is backing up Carson Palmer.
    Billy Volek was dealt to the Chargers, where I think he's still backing up Philip Rivers.
    Eric Zeier disappeared. I was a little surprised because I thought he would cut it in the NFL.

8. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Trent Dilfer wasn't so hot, either.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Bobby Hoying might qualify. Billy Volek was the flavor of the month there for a while due to McNair's injuries in Tennessee.

10. Neither is Rex Grossman.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it's not even close. Check out the numbers. Dilfer actually made the Pro Bowl once. In his Super Bowl season, he completed almost 60 percent of his passes and has more touchdown passes than interceptions. Grossman had some terrific games last season -- seven with a rating of 100 or better -- finished with more than 3000 passing yards and 23 TDs (to 20 ints). Woodley? A career .538 completion percentage, 48 TDs, 63 ints. Trust me, he was horrendous.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was a teenager in SoCal when Brock played for the Rams, and I'm not sure you could even call him a wonder. Yes, the Rams did make it to the NFC Championship (Thanks, Eric Dickerson) and stats may say different, but I what I remember most about Brock's NFL year is that fans and sportswriters alike in SoCal were ripping him mercilessly.

Draft saved Draft deleted