1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One day contracts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The guy who played for the team I covered did it during the season. The guy was a nobody, but was well-liked locally and wanted to do it and they had to make it a "personal services" deal because they weren't going to fuck with the roster just to let this idiot retire as a member of the team. He hadn't played in over a year, although I guess he had been on IR most of that time.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

David Tyree signed a one-day contract. Five career starts, 54 career receptions, one unforgettable moment.

Which is more than Torry Holt ever provided.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too! Cost the Niners a three-peat.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Really? Torry Holt was as consistent as brushing your teeth for years. 90 or 100 receptions, 1300 yards. One of only two receivers with two 1,600 yard receiving seasons. And top 10 in receiving yards for his career.

And it is not exactly like he didn't have his Super Bowl. When the Rams beat the Titans in the game that came down to the last play, Holt had a huge game.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One-day contracts are just as meaningful as Pro Days or signing a letter of intent.

6. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Yeah...not sure what that comment meant.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A signature moment. It wasn't that cryptic.

Holt was just another guy in the aughts who piled up a lot of receiving yards.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, until the kid recovers from his illness and decides he wants to play high school sports. That is, until he's ruled that he gave up his amateur status when he signed the one-day contract with the Cowboys.

The E-bay thing is funny though. Crossthreading with the Ball Four thread, it reminds me of Bouton's idea to have a drawing in the stands and bring one fan out and activate him for the night's game.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

... including 109 yards and a touchdown as a rookie in a Super Bowl victory.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He was a bit more than that. Nobody in their right mind who was around football during the last 15 years or so would characterize Torry Holt as "just another guy."

Frankly, it's the kind of thing I'd expect to hear from someone whose knowledge of football is limited to fantasy football.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He piled up some pretty good stats. I'd bet even fantasy football players know he was more than "just another guy."

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Torry Holt: Hall of Fame? Discuss. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted