1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One day contracts?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Apr 2, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Torry Holt is signing a one day contract to retire as a Ram.

What is your opinion? I am indifferent to who you retire with.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

It's BS and doesn't mean anything to anyone but the player.

People are going to remember you with the team you starred with, not who you retired with.

Jerry Rice will always be a Niner, even though he played with the Raiders and Seahawks. He didn't need to sign a one-day contract to be remembered in San Francisco.

And, I don't know that Rice did that, just using him as an example.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think he did. I remember when Roger Craig did the same thing and myself and other Niners fans were hoping the Niners would tell him to go fuck himself because of the fumble against the Giants. :D

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I agree that it doesn't make any difference in what affiliation a player is remembered for.

If there were hard feelings about not being kept by/choosing to leave that team, though, it gives everyone a chance to make nice.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

No big deal. They're just a courtesy sometimes extended to longtime players who identify with specific clubs.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Does the team cut them a check?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I would imagine not. Don't players get paid by the game?

8. Mizzougrad96

I know of times when it's a dollar or a penny or an amount that is given to charity. I know of another instance where the contract was written in a way that it wasn't a one-day deal, it was a one-hour deal, that basically meant as soon as the presser was over, he was no longer a member of the team. Maybe they're all written like that, who knows?

I think if you're a player who is best known for what you did in a specific city, but ended your career elsewhere, it's a good way for the player to maximize their chances to get local endorsements or appearance fees that sometimes go with being a retired player in good standing with the local team.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Deadspin explained it (without perfect clarity) when Fred Taylor signed one with the Jaguars: http://deadspin.com/5836681/fred-taylor-retires-a-jaguar-but-how-much-does-his-one+day-contract-pay

10. Mizzougrad96

I know in some instances the contract that is signed is a "personal-services" contract, but teams do things differently.

11. How funny would it be if one day one of these "retire with the team" guys trips on his way to podium - gets hurt and the team is on the hook for a full year? You know the team isn't taking out insurance for this one-day deal so they would be on the hook for the whole year!

Also - does the guy with the one day contract get his per diem for that day?

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

If, according to the Deadspin story, no money changes hands on these - I think teams are missing a big-time opportunity to do some marketing. Leave yourself at 52 men during the offseason (or however that works), and sign some sick kids to one-day or one-hour contracts to play for their favorite teams. Or auction off a one-day contract on Ebay and send the money to charity. I'm sure there are people out there who would pay a lot of money for a legit contract (a copy of which they could keep) and the ability to say they played for the Cowboys, even if it was only for a day and they actually had to pay to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted