1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One-album wonders

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YGBFKM, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Speaking of ..

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/19/men-at-work-musician-greg-ham-found-dead-in-melbourne-home/?intcmp=features

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

[​IMG]

This album is still astonishing to listen to- a band coming together with fully formed chops.

After that? Crapola.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Are those guys?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hootie and the Blowfish would have to get some consideration here, I think by the time their second album came out everybody was sick of being beaten over the head with the songs from their debut.

This is a damn good album too:

[​IMG]

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This thread begins and ends with one album:

[​IMG]

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Marquee Moon was the first to cross my mind. A classic listen and I've never heard anything of theirs aside from that album.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From the same time period, I think Oasis could get some consideration here.

Their debut album, "Definitely, Maybe" was solid, but didn't achieve huge success. "What's the Story, Morning Glory?" was fantastic and a huge popular success that they've never come close to achieving with any of their follow-ups.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't think Black 47 has ever come close to "Fire of Freedom," although others might disagree. But that album's great from beginning to end.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I like A Weekend in the City. Intimacy was terrible, though.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

lack
    I never heard of these guys until we started listening to The Spectrum (Ch 28) on Sirius/XM. Larry Kirwan hosts a show every Saturday morning called "Celtic Crush" which I really enjoy. He occasionally plays some Black 47 stuff and I have to say I've never heard another singer whose singing and speaking voice are so nearly identical.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I still remember opening this in 8th grade in 1976:

[​IMG]

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

That's a really good call. I'd have to go back to it, but I seem to remember being a kid and thinking that the second Boston album was better than its reputation seems to be.

On a more modern tilt:

[​IMG]

Few bands perfected the art of having a massive debut album and then blowing it all by taking years and years to record a follow-up thanks to in-fighting, drugs and general stupidity. For most of the 1990s, the phrase "the new Stone Roses album should be out later this year" was that decade's alternative version of "Chinese Democracy is coming out any day now!"

Draft saved Draft deleted