1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once again, there are 4 foreign-born heavyweight champions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Shannon Briggs lost tonight to Sultan Ibragimov, so the big boys are at the same spot they were before Briggs came back in the 12th round to defeat Sergei Lyakhovich in his last fight and bring 1/4 of the heavyweight title back to the USA. Your champions:

- Wladimir Klitschko
    - Oleg Maskaev
    - Rusian Chagaev
    - Sultan Ibragimov

With the UFC on the rise, I'm not sure who's the next great American (or North American) heavyweight prospect on the horizon.

The fight tonight was a lackluster affair. Briggs - 273 lbs. - was pretty slow and listless. He got away with that in his last fight but Ibragimov didn't make the huge mistake Lyakhovich did.

Next big heavyweight tilt is Klitschko vs his 1-time conqueror, Lamon Brewster. Chagaev just beat giant Nicolay Valuev. Maskaev will be fighting the hard-hitting Sam Peter soon, as well.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

No youtube video on this info?

3. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Fair point. No, not yet anyway. Could be on the docket, however.

I've got to plan a better outfit, though, if I do make one. The blue shorts didn't go over too well - you can't imagine the comments I had to ding. Very grumpy audience. :)

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You and your brother need to learn the fingertip rule when it comes to shorts.

5. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Help me out here, I'm lost. :)

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

If you stand up straight and the shorts don't reach past your fingertips, they're too short.

7. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

Gotcha. Funny thing is, my shorts were like knee-length, but I pulled them up when I sat down, so it got all messed up. :( Ha ha. :)

8. If you gave me a week to think of the four heavyweight champions, I might've come up with Klitschko by Thursday afternoon.
    Sad, really.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sounds like time for Jermain Taylor to start hitting Hardee's big-time.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Rok, you lost me right there.

Don't even bring UFC into the conversation with the world heavyweight championship. Boxing may not be what it was, but it's not pro wrestling, either.

11. you might want to do something about the hair too, rok

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ivan Drago could whip all of 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted