1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On this date in Ohio State football history

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

On this date in 1978, late great Ohio State coach Woody Hayes threw a punch at a Clemson player during the Gator Bowl.
    The incident happened after Clemson guard Charlie Bauman stepped out of bounds on the Buckeyes sideline after intercepting an Art Schlichter (remember him?) pass with a little more than 2 minutes to go in the game. Clemson went on to win, 17-15.
    Hayes was fired the next day and never coached again.
    I know we've got a few old timers who remember this game. Heck, maybe one or two who covered it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Woody had punched Art Schlichter instead, he would have coached for another 15 years.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Another 15 years would have been difficult, seeing as he died in 1987.

4. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

If you ask an Ohio State fan about Woody Hayes, he was the classiest guy in the world.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Schlichter would have taken a dive.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He would have lived longer if he had still been coaching.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was a young newsroom pup but I remember the night it happened. Our slot guy said, "Hey look at this shit!"

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I like the idea that Schilcter had a side bet going somewhere that he could Woody to punch somebody out.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was 12 and I remember watching the game on ABC. Keith Jackson was the pbp guy.

Legend has it that when the team plane landed back in Columbus, Woody gave his usual "be careful driving home for the holidays" speech over the plane's PA system but he ended it with "and when you get back to Columbus I won't be the coach at Ohio State anymore."

10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Friend of mine was a prison guard at one of Schlichter's Indiana prison homes... let's just say the place had the best damn NCAA pool in the state.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Amazing how bad the announcing was for this game. They never said Woody threw a punch.

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

And, when Woody Hayes died, his wife asked that he be buried beneath the University of Kansas Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas, because she wanted him to rest as far from big-time college football as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted