1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On This Date ... April 12, 1945

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Liut, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

75 years ago today, Franklin Roosevelt died in Warm Springs, Georgia. The vice-president was urgently called to the White House. Harry S. Truman was sworn-in as the 33rd president of the United States.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And on April 13, the Cold War started. Thanks, Harry.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is so historically incorrect as to be discrediting of all your posts here, which is unfortunate as a good number have merit whether I agree with them or not. But this is just ridiculous.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I can be facetious sometimes, too.

But Truman DID say (as a Senator) we should wait and see whom to support, the Nazis or Red Army, depending on whom we feared was set to dominate early . . . "and that way let them kill as many as possible." Real humanitarian, as he showed for real in August 1945.

And he DID, in 1947, after the announcement of the Truman Doctrine, intervene in the Greek civil war 5,000 miles away. Stalin, meanwhile, was begged by Yugoslav president Tito to intervene and help the Communists. Stalin said nyet, not in our sphere of influence.

I love FDR. I like Ike. I have no need for who came between them.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

o_O

Spartan Squad likes this.
  6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Liut likes this.
  7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I see what you added there later.