1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On this date ... 1997

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Jan. 21, 1997 Donnie Baseball retires. My favorite non-Pirates player.

Don Mattingly officially announces his retirement, leaving baseball with a .307 batting average and nine Gold Gloves.
    I remember his 1987 streak when he homered in eight consecutive games.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Wish he was still playing.

Then he wouldn't be Dodgers manager.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He retired in 1997? Where was he when the Yankees were winning the World Series in 1996?

4. I gotta be honest I had no idea.
    I thought he was out of the game in 1995. So he has a World Series ring? If so, I did not know that.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Who gives a shit?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He definitely did not play in 1996. Tino Martinez was the Yankees' first baseman that year. Not sure what Mattingly was doing that year.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

'95 was his last active season, when the yanks were a wild-card team and donnie played in his only postseason -- ten their REAL dynastic run began under torre in '96. if this presser was in '97 it was just a formality. no rings for donnie baseball.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

He doesn't have a ring. He was done with the Yanks in '95. Orioles thought of signing him in '96 and then he finally officially hung it up in '97, as a Yankee.

http://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/23/sports/mattingly-says-farewell-and-so-does-his-number.html

9. Ok.
    I was 99.9 percent sure he had no World Series rings.
    Shame.. Crappy Yankee teams and a bad back.

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Is he wearing a necktie or a tablecloth?

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think he was kinda up in the air about retiring after '95, so the Yankees got tired of waiting and went out and got Tino. After a year, Mattingly figured he truly was done.

And then, there's Bernie Williams, who I don't think has still officially retired.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Don Mattingly is an interesting case. In his own era, he was wildly overrated. People acted like he was the second coming of Lou Gehrig when he was in his prime. It's tough to defend this MVP when he wasn't even close to the best player on his own team.

Then he retired and eventually became Hall of Fame eligible as new statistics were beginning to gain footing, and the backlash hit him as hard as anyone. Now some baseball writers and fans look at Don Mattingly as nothing more than an example of the Yankee mystique.

Draft saved Draft deleted