1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

GuessWho: I guess that you are novelist Larry McCurtry -- former Rice student and rare book afficionado.

The Rice area is the prettiest area of Houston.

2. Supernintendo Chalmers

Supernintendo Chalmers Active Member

Another book reference:

Brattle's Books in downtown Boston, on a sidestreet a few blocks from Boston Common.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Totally agree on this one, but you need about 3 hours to really "enjoy" it.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

If you're looking for a decent, reasonably cheap meal in Cincinnati and don't feel like dealing with the Skyline and the 3 cubic tons of mild shaved cheddar per ounce of chili, then go to the arty area, the name of which escapes me, to a little place called Habanero's. They do the darndest burrito I've ever had. It's about the size of my forearm (and for those few who know me here, you know that's saying something), and they (used to) make this wonderful green apple and green chile salsa for it. It also comes with THE best tortilla chips for which you could ever dare dream to hope. Then hit the Graeter's for their sublime black raspberry chocolate chip ice cream. Edy's can rot after that.

5. Seconding a few museum favorites, and additions as well, in no particular order:
    1. Rock and Roll HOF, Cleveland. Great fun.
    2. Dealey Plaza/Schoolbook Depository. Very well done. A lot of of the history of the era, and the moment, of course, and not a lot of judging on blame. You decide for yourself. Fascinating for journalists because it details the news coverage of the assasination, with the TV news broadcasts and the AP wire.
    3. The Oklahoma City Memorial. Sadness is everywhere, but organizers have made such a poignant, moving tribute to the lost lives. The rows of empty chairs outside is understated drama at its best. And nothing speaks like the part citizens made on their own--the long fence still being covered with personal messages all these years later.
    4. The Newseum was good. Anxiously awaiting the re-opening.
    Any reviews of the NASA facility in Houston?

6. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

If you're in Dallas, get over to Fort Worth (30 minutes away) for the best cultural endeavor available in that part of the world.

The Kimball Musem is in Fort Worth, and the building alone -- designed by Luis I. Kahn -- is considered one of the most important architectural works of the last half of the 20th century. The permanent collection is outstanding and many of the biggest traveling shows stop there. The former curator of the Louvre once called it the most important small museum in the world. Anyway, if you like art you shouldn't miss it.
    www.kimbellart.org

Fort Worth just followed that up with a new museum of modern art, The Modern. The building itself is stunning. The collection is good, but likely fals short of great.
    www.mamfw.org

There is also a museum of Western art called the Amon Carter. It is one of the finest collections of its type anywhere, and it has recently branched out to include early American works. Great museum.
    www.cartermuseum.org

Dallas has some fine museums as well, but really pales in significance to what Fort Worth has put together.

So 21, no excuses next time you hit Big D.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The NASA facility is good. Well worth your time. It has been a while but with security and such, I am sure some of the tours have been scrapped or shortened.

The visitors center has a lot to see. Real good place for kids, too.

8. Hustle

Hustle Guest

kleeda's reply reminded me: If you're in Philly and you have any interest in art, there's obviously the Art Museum where you can run up the same steps as Rocky.

But if you're looking for more, head out to the suburbs - Merion to be exact - for the Barnes Foundation, and one of the best private art collections in the world. Masterpieces by Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse and other works by Picasso, Monet, Manet and Degas.

They are trying to move the place into Philadelphia proper, but there's been a haggling over the guy's estate. But it looks like they will make the move.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are in Chicago, you really should check out The Art Institute.

Great collection. You can spend an hour or a day.

It's also right next to the new Millennium Park, which also is worth checking out. If it is a nice day, you can eat at the park and go back into the museum if you want.

Admission is good for all day.

10. NUkid

NUkid Member

This art museum talk jogged my memory about one of my favorite D.C. museums, The Phillips Collection.

Located off of Embassy Row in DuPont Circle (and a short jot from the Brickskeller), the Phillips Collection is not your ordinary museum. The building was once a private home, so it is an intimate environment for art. In it hangs an impressive impressionist collection, including Renoir's famous Luncheon of the Boating Party (although I think it is on tour right now), and works by important American artists such as O'Keefe, Eakins and Jacob Lawrence.

It is a privately owned museum, so it does charge admission, but I can't recommend it more highly.

Here's the website: http://www.phillipscollection.org/

And whoever wrote about the Fort Worth museums, BRAVO (dallas museums pale in comparison).

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

You got that right.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And what's with all the bolding of city names? Reading them can be a real pain in the ass.

Draft saved Draft deleted