1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On the road

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Jan 26, 2021.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would guess the Dead River in my hometown since I lived there until I was 25.
    Last 10 years? The Maumee River

The "River Rule" was a joke a cop told me once when I lived Mid-Michigan/Tri-Cities. The joke was to live "two rivers away" from Saginaw. LOL

maumann likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Crossed the Mississippi River into Arkansas today.

[​IMG]

Stopped in Russellville to stretch the legs and have lunch in Downtown Russellville.

Cajun jambalaya at a place called Stoby's behind the railroad tracks.

[​IMG]

Although they say the locals go to Stoby's for the cheese dip ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Mmmm hmmm

(For those who don’t know, it crosses the interstate five times in less than 10 miles in Smith County.)

Driftwood likes this.
  4. Songbird

On I-40 in Eastern Oklahoma when the sky unleashes a monster deluge, barely any visibility, scary as hell, but luckily was close enough to a Love's where I'm waiting it out now.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Safe journeys!

Songbird likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

You probably don't need to buy one of those short bats to whack your tires, like the truckers do.

maumann and Songbird like this.
  7. Songbird

Slogged thru Oklahoma and made it to McLean Texas into a surprisingly spacious and comfy motel. This is the middle of nowhere with a great crosswind and 2 museums, one of them dedicated to barbed wire fences.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You making the full Cannonball Run back to Cali?

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In Grapevine, TX (suburb of Dallas) I found a very nice local museum that had, among other objects, a Purple Heart, and a radio set from Pitcairn Island, with the autograph of one of Fletcher Christian's descendants on it. Turns out Grapevine, which also has a neat railroad museum with working steam, and claims a portion of DFW airport within its boundaries, once had a thriving grape industry. The airport tax revenue helped remodel a municipal gathering hall, with some stunning brasswork and hardwood carpentry.

10. Songbird

Downtown Flagstaff.

I feel vulnerable lately.

20210430_142746.jpg

11. Songbird

May have screwed the transmission somewhat with the 6-hour climb into Flagstaff.

Will gamble and keep driving tomorrow but on a southerly route to avoid more strain on the transmission.

Here's what the guy above sounds like:

12. Songbird

Phoenix for the night, thinking of watching the Dbacks.

20210501_114254.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted