1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On last question on the Cody FG play

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The point isn't that technology doesn't exist or that the rule doesn't fall within the scope of the rules. The point is that common sense and human nature dictate that they will not be reviewing plays for that most of the time. The only scenario I could see them noticing anything (remember, they have a 20-30 second window to look at this stuff in time to halt the game) is if someone is obviously scrambling towards the sideline right as the ball is snapped. Otherwise, it is like asking cops on a drug ring stakeout to also write up any jaywalking violations they notice in the meantime.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And both games are mentioned in a thread about a UT loss.

I think it's time I go put a bullet in my Tiger-Vols heart.

;(

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Tru dat. I meant that the technology part would come into play on the challenge, not on the actual play, when there's more than enough other things to be concerned about.

And they should just give coaches one challenge per game, time out or no timeout. Why should the number of timeouts you have remaining have any bearin gon whether the officials screwed up or not?

There was a situation at Microville Tech several years ago when MTU was out of time outs, had the lead and the ball, and then just got absolutely screwed by a fumble call that clearly was not a fumble with about two minutes to go, just as it was preparing to score the clinching TD.

MTU had no timeouts and thus couldn't challenge when the guys on the field and in the replay booth did not review the play. Of course, both the officiating crew and the replay crew were subsequently suspended because they screwed the pooch so bad but that would have been small consolation had Arrogant Metro U. scored to win the game after getting a turnover that was clearly a terrible call.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Correct.

I was there as a snot-nosed high school who loved college football.

It was one of those games that Mizzou was hoping to 'turn the corner' with. They hadn't been to a bowl in seven years. QB Kent Kiefer played the game of his life, lighting up Colorado for 31 points.

Yet Mac and the Buffs, methodically, moved down the field in the final three minutes. We (I was a Mizzou fan growing up) all knew it wouldn't end well. I believe, it was on 3rd down where the Down Market was still on 2nd down. On "4th/3rd" down, QB Johnson spiked the ball to stop the clock. On "5th/4th" down, he sneaked into the end zone -- although TV replays showed Johnson's knee as down on the bouncy artificial turf before the ball went.

My gripe was not as much on the 5 downs (Johnson wouldn't have spiked it on 4th/3rd down) but that his knee was down.

At the time, there was no TV on the game in Missouri. Only KCNC out of Denver -- I saw the broadcast of Classic a few years back.

Bad loss for Missouri -- at least in 1997, when Nebraska won on the kicked catch -- Mizzou had finally bounced back.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Am I out of my mind here or don't coaches lose their challenges inside the final two minutes of each half? I thought all replays were determined by the booth official at that point.

Draft saved Draft deleted