1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Hillary

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Troll scat aside, I have now spent 15 years listening to Republicans tell me how they can't wait to run against one Clinton or the other, and how they'll be easy to beat, and don't dare nominate them, and everyone of those Republicans has left the ring in a blanket. Sooner or later, it's got to dawn on them that these folks are formidable campaigners.
    I think immigration cuts both ways. McCain can run on the most abject failure of his senatorial career and half his base stays home.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

John McCain is an enormous fraud. He is a tired old man whose primary issue is keeping the U.S. in Iraq indefinitely. He admits he knows nothing about the economy. Admits!
    There are men on this board whose testicles shrink into their lower intestine when they think about a woman president. If they vote for McCain, fine. But if a country is looking for change, and that's the one thing we do know, and there's a debate, and on one side is a 72-year old white guy, and on the other is either a woman or a 46 year old black guy, which do you think looks like change?
    You know the last candidate who was as unelectable as Hillary? That'd be Ronald Reagan.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There is no doubt Obama would win against McCain.

But Hillary has several problems, one of them being she isn't very likable, the other is -- any attempts to paint McCain with the "angry white guy wingnut conservative christian" will be laughed at.

And McCain has proven he is popular among independents.

He certainly isn't the top choice for the core of the Republican party, but a Clinton on the ballot will be enough to unite that party behind him and with the independent support he'll get, he'll be hard for Hillary to beat.

4. How'd that work out for Daddy Bush, Rick Lazio, or Rudy Giuliani?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I tend to agree with your overall point, that ain't exactly the '84 Oilers, right there.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Long Island Ricky fucked himself but good when he walked over and got into Hillary's face during one of their debates. As soon as he pulled that, she had the election locked up.

What's he doing these days?

7. Read the stuff from before each campaign.
    The Clintons were done, they didn't have a chance, Rudy would stomp her guts out, and on and on. Then she scared him out of the race and I don't think he's recovered yet.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Luggy - you are being targeted as part of a well orchestrated plan. The clinton team has already had to apologize for the lies they spread in New Hampshire about Obama's record on abortion rights.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/09/AR2008010903855_pf.html

Better get your meter in for a check up . Seems like it's on the blink.

9. zagoshe

Ok, let's see -- Daddy Bush lost because (a) the idiotic no new taxes crack followed by new taxes (b) H. Ross Perot and (c) Clinton was still a very relative unknown.

Rick Lazio was a last-minute addition to a ticket that was supposed to have Guiliani on it but he had to bow out because of testicle problems and never had a chance.

Please, as you would say, do better.

And while you are at it, take a look at the current polling data between Hillary and McCain....

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2008/president/us/general_election_mccain_vs_clinton-224.html#polls

I know it isn't the be-all end all and a lot will change -- but obviously a McCain win is not that far fetched being as he is up right now in that battle......

When did Rudy run against Hillary?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

What I wonder is how aggressively his opponent would bring up the age factor. I also think the TV factor will play a big role for him. You think Nixon looked bad? Let's see how McCain looks after six months of 18-hour days.

11. zagoshe

Further, winning in a liberal state like New York is much different than winning a national election, particularly when you have the baggage Hillary has.

Now, Hillary and Billy are indeed dirty good campaigners and will stop at nothing -- including trashing McCain -- to win, so that is always an x-factor.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Why would McCain be exempt from trashing? As long as they don't trash his war record, I have no problem with it (well, I don't like it, but I know that's the way it works).

Trashing someone's war record would, of course, be dirty, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted