1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

On Binghamton's quick rise, quicker fall

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

A nice piece by a friend of mine on DI "glory"....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-mendelsohn/my-city-in-ruins-binghamt_b_463972.html

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

my eldest son is a sophomore at the bing (class of '74); my sister and brother in law went to the bing (class of '82)... an excellent perspective from yet another alum here.

thanks, dave. ;)

3. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Pete Thamel really did a great job with that story. He raised questions when nobody else did, got killed for it by the school and its fans, and ultimately was completely vindicated by the official report. Nice job by the NYT.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Great story... so sad.

It reminds me of a story a friend tells. His buddy was a coach at a smallish school thirsting for its NCAA basketball 'moment.' The coach was-- quote-- "on the fence about whether to start cheating or not. And he decided to go ahead and start cheating."

5. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

An excellent piece about a compelling story. And I'd be remiss if I didn't publicly congratulate Thamel for the thorough ass-whupping he gave me on that story.

My only problem with this piece (and one George Vescey wrote in the Times) is the tone that Binghamton should have never gone D-I in the first place. That strikes me as throwing the baby out with the bathwater. There's nothing wrong with having D-I sports. There are schools who do it the right way. The true shame of this story, to me, is that Binghamton was perfectly set up to be one of those schools that did things the right way but got suckered in by the lure of the quick fix.

Draft saved Draft deleted