1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Omniture

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by wicked, Jan 6, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Who here uses it?

Who here knows about it? We use it in a very rudimentary fashion here, and we've never been given training. (For example, it'll highlight our top five stories on our main page -- but over how long of a period? An hour? 30 minutes? A day?)

Are there any good learning tools out there?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

We use it, but I have no idea how it works. I just get a weekly e-mail with the information in it.

Sorry I'm not any help. :(

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You do help me finishes cases of Yuengling, so you're still of some use.

I was curious to see how many people use it on here and, if so, how it helps with their jobs.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmm Yuengling. If I can't talk a friend of mine into dinner in the next 30 minutes, I'm going to crack into a 12-pack.

5. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

It's part of Adobe's tech-gobble. You think Google is powerful? One day they'll bow to Adobe.

It can be extremely confusing and not very well explained. One thing I've learned is that if you're trying to find numbers on a specific page, don't search for the entire URL, search for snippets and add the total of what it returns.

For example, if you want to see how many people went to www.website.com/index/frontpage.html, know that there will also be results for www.website.com/index/frontpage (minus the .html). So you're better off searching "index/frontpage" to make sure you get a total for all pages that contain that phrase.

I know I'm only aware of like 2 percent of its functionality, so I'd love a seminar to learn how to use it.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I used Omniture for about 3 years when I worked for Gannett. I know it inside and out and can help you with everything from tracking page views, to seeing what resolution is on the monitor your readers are using. If you have specific questions please PM me.

But basically, what may help you is the calendar at the upper-right hand corner of the program. You can set search perameters like time. And you can check how many people have viewed that story by day, by hour, by week. You can also search web hits by best story, type of story.

Really, the analytics tracking is endless. You can get lists of top photo galleries or videos, you can locate top refering domains like Google, or even Twitter!

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thanks, mustang, and I'll probably take you up on it. I know how to access some of that stuff already (i.e. referring domains), at least.

And I agree with Turtle, I'd love a seminar on it.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I'm with mustang, wicked. We use it here and have been shown how to use almost all the bells and whistles. feel free to PM me anytime if you need anything. My best advice is to surf around as much as possible and click the buttons. Even the "you won't find anything here" clicks will tell you where not to go in the future.

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

I use it extensively, but don't know how to program it. If I need a report set up, one of my colleagues is the go-to guy. I'm so number-crazed that I spent a day working up records for most whatevers in an hour, day and month. Impresses the suits when I can tell them this was our second-best day ever and this is why ....

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That's how I taught myself. Clicked every button. By the end of my 3 years using it, I could find out if my Mom read the my stories on the web site that day. I could follow IP addresses from the city, check duration of stay on the site and what page people clicked on. Truly remarkable and somewhat creepy stuff.

11. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

My reports, especially for referrers, seem to have a lot of "other" designations. Any idea what that's about and how to get past it?

12. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

Sat through a two day mind-numbing session with Omniture. Essentially, "other" is what is created when you haven't defined a variable.
    For us that meant traffic that was getting referred from newsletters, etc.
    As an aside, don't ever pay for an Omniture "expert" from Adobe to come talk to your company. I can guaran-damn-tee you they will turn your brain to mush with talk of evals and s props.

Draft saved Draft deleted