1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ombud: Conflicts of interest at ESPN unavoidable

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Idaho, May 15, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=schreiber_leanne&id=2866241

I kind of agree, regrettably :-\

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

If it really is unavoidable within the framework of SportsCenter, then don't try to call that journalism. They clearly are giving NASCAR more weight this year now that it has the Busch Series contract. I understand her point with the "shoulder" programming such as Baseball Tonight. But otherwise, good journalism would demand news judgments made based on news value and not a corporate relationship. ESPN does show good journalism lots of times, but not when business clouds its news decisions.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Sounds like a plea for hockey to return to ESPN to me. That alone would quiet the hockey fans like me.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good column. I still think fewer and fewer people care about the NHL, and it has nothing to do with ESPN. I just don't hear anybody talking about it.

The hockey fans keep whining. Their league cancels a season, then signs a dumbass TV deal with something called "Versus," and they want to blame ESPN.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This was a well-written examination of the issue, as good as you might see in, yes, the NYT itself.

And not, blissfully, undercut with a BOOYAH! at the end ...

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I just want to mention that Ms. Schreiber is doing excellent work. The piece is balanced, well-written and has a lot of reporting in it. She's only written a couple of these, but she already seems to have a better sense of what she's doing - and how to do it - than Mr. Solomon did.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Amen, sir.

With all due respect to Mr. Solomon, his column read like a listing of readers complaints with surfacy analysis and little, if any, reporting at all. We joked here often that it carried no weight within the company and that's not surprising because it there was very little investment in it intellectually by the writer. I was definitely impressed with the number of people Schreiber solicited comment/clarification from.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let me put it in SAT terms:

The Ms. Schreiber Ombudsman is to the George Solomon Ombudsman like the 1986 Sportscenter is to the 2007 Sportscenter.

It's hard to believe these two have the same title, she does such a better job than Solomon. She will analyze an issue, ask questions, then ask follow-up questions. And she is a better writer to boot. WTG, Schreiber.

One small quibble: I would like to see the 2007 hockey highlights compared to some other year besides 2004 (ESPN's last year). My guess is that the sport was already out the door in the network's eye and that reflected on minutes given.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

More from Romenesko:

Smoooooooth, Mr. Content Veep.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I agree that she's much better than Solomon. I know it's the Web and you've got all the space you want, but my one beef with her is that she needs to edit her column so that it's not quite as long.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Maybe she has the same editor as the one who wrote the Dave Collins gamer.

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You know what upset me about ESPn, the darn NIT selection show.

Because suddenly it was ESPN's gig, I had to here about the NIT ad naseum and also had a fake selection show like anyone cared. Then they analyzed the brackets. Where was this coverage last year when the NCAA didn't own the tournament? Did ESPN promise for business decisions, to pump up the NIT on its news broadcasts. And let's not even start on NASCAR, Arena Football League and Poker.

Draft saved Draft deleted