1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olympics 2012, in Londontown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 7, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The number of events doesn't bother me per se . . . as long as you are doing different things.

In track and field you are running . . . and jumping . . . and hurdling . . . and vaulting . . . and throwing . . . and in one event you do them all.

In swimming you are . . . swimming.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Right. So don't watch. Much like my personal response to tennis.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You know they now have open-water swimming? Like swimming in a real lake (no word if sharks are in the vacinity).

And, of course, there's synchronized swimming, which some will debate endless its merits as a sport.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Synchronized swimming = not a sport.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Lord have mercy, people. If you don't like the Olympics, change the channel.

Gee. It's not rocket science.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I swear, some of you turn hating sports into an art form.

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Isn't that the Olympic Trials in an old Soviet Bloc country? ("or else" is either Siberia or a visit to Barry Bonds' doctor).

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yahoo: Michael Phelps to enter seven events at U.S. Trials, could be in line to go for 10 medals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics--sources--phelps-to-enter-seven-events-at-u-s--olympic-swim-trials.html;_ylt=An0o6uBqnvM5nhQWorQ2mVg5nYcB

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Oh, it's not really "hating" a sport.

It was just frustrating at my shop many years ago when our "Olympics" reporter (who also covered a lot of swimming for us) went to the Games . . . AND NEVER LEFT THE NATATORIUM because the 31 (count 'em, 31) medal events at that time dragged on for more than a week. Now it's 34.

Jeebus, we spend that much money to send you there, you're at a spectacle with dozens of things going on, and the readers get nothing but a daily dose of swimming.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

It can't be Olympics without bitching about the TV coverage...my latest gripe:

Rowdy Gaines makes Gus Johnson sound like he's covering golf on NPR. EVERY MOMENT IN THE POOL IS LOUD AND AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My ears are still ringing from all the screaming in the stands at the gymnastics trials, and that was just from watching it on TV. I can't imagine how annoying it must have been in person.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Rowdy Gaines got a lot of traction out of the call of the 4x100 relay in Beijing, I think, which makes him try and repeat that magic with every. single. race. Doesn't work. I also dislike the gymnastics crew, which tells me nothing about the sport itself other than "that's super-hard" or "that's a step," basically things anyone with working eyes can figure out for themselves. Plus Al Trautwig (I think that's his name) goes for the trailer-worthy catchphrase about once every segment.

All that said, the sports themselves are awesome. Ashton Eaton (I think) setting the world record in the decathlon brought chills, and what's better than a run-off for the third and final spot on the women's 100 meter dash team?

Plus NBC has finally gotten with the times somewhat and is offering every event live online, even if you're in the Pacific time zone like me, as long as you have a cable/satellite package that includes MSNBC and CNBC.

Draft saved Draft deleted