1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olney vs. Verducci

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rockcrit88, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

You have a knack, under a new name, for following people and stirring stuff up. Find someone else to play with. If you don't understand what I'm writing about, it's your loss.

2. azbjn9101

azbjn9101 New Member

I'm only a rook in the business, but I went through Olney's book on the Yankees in a few days, it was a great read.

As far as who knows more about baseball, wouldn't it have to be the older writers? Simply put, they've seen more baseball. End of story.

With that said, a little nugget that was passed along to me from a guy who knew a guy that roomed with a younger Olney while working at the San Diego Union-Tribune ... Weekends come around, guys go out drinking, doing their thing; Olney stays behind, roommates come home in wee-hours of night to see him studying Baseball Encyclopedias.

Just goes to show what kind of commitment (and yes, luck, I know) it takes to get to that level.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think it automatically follows that because you've seen more of a sport that you automatically know more about that sport than others.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

McCoy and Gammons, sure. But, no, not Bodley and Conlin.

Hal and Peter are there everyday and were always far more knowledgeable and far better reporters than Conlin and Bodley even when they were all in their prime years.

Chass, although his expertise was more on the front office/business side, was also one of the greats before his illnesses. And Gordon Edes shouldn't be overlooked among contemporary guys.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'd definitely say Verducci over Olney for features, but I think Ken Rosenthal tops them both for breaking news. I'd say either Tim Kurkjian or Jayson Stark is probably ESPN.com's best baseball feature guy.

That said, as an ESPN Insider, Olney's blog is a daily "must-read" for me ...

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Agree with this 100%.

7. AD

AD Active Member

lost art, i know, but in l.a. gordon edes was the best gamestory writer in pro hoops and baseball that i've ever seen. gammons in '75 and '78 -- during the post-season -- was on another planet. but day to day, edes was sublime.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Azrael: It's my opinion.
    Cran: I don't know how long you have been in the business but a young Bill Conlin (circa 1964-76) was pretty damn good as a reporter. In the beginning Mauch gave him a lot of info but he soon developed his own style for covering the Phillies and MLB.
    And Gordon Edes was definitely knew the game.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've never been much of a gamer reader but Olney was a must read when he had Yankee beat. Even if you watched game you learned things from his gamers.

I once heard that Wellington Marra liked his gamers so much that he lobbied the Times to have Olney cover The Giants.

Draft saved Draft deleted