1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O'Leary freezing out the Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Apparently, George O'Leary isn't happy with how the paper covered player death, so he's not talking to the Orlando Sentinel.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-bk-oleary-ucf-plancher-071708,0,6011084.story

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sounds like they're preparing a lawsuit.

Also, if he doesn't talk to the Sentinel, who the hell else does he think is gonna turn up and cover his program?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Blogs!

And there's always talk radio.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who else covers UCF on a daily basis?

I'm guessing St. Pete and Tampa cover games, but I'm not even sure of that. Daytona? Florida Today?

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

6. Mizzougrad96

Is The Sentinel a corporate sponsor for UCF? That could make things interesting as well.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you want to keep any remaining misguided hope in humanity, don't bother with the comments section.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

O'Leary declined to respond when asked what errors had been reported by the Sentinel.

"No that's all. That's all I'll say about it," O'Leary said.

O'Leary issued a statement contending there were numerous errors in the Sentinel's story. UCF officials have repeatedly declined to identify specific errors in the Sentinel's coverage.

Typical bully football coach bullshit. The coach I cover does the same thing. He'll say something you wrote was "all wrong" and when you ask him to be specific, he changes the subject.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

While it was on a much smaller scale, I was in a similar situation w/ the last school I covered full-time.
    And knowing the people at the Sentinel I know, this is going to come out one of two ways:
    1. People at UCF are eventually going to get sick of what will likely be a drawback in coverage from the Sentinel (the primary publication that covers UCF football), or;
    2. The Sentinel will come out with a number of columns bitch-slapping the coach until he gives in.

Stubborn bastards only last so long. And O'Leary isn't Knute Rockne. While he has a pretty strong following down there, it won't last for long.

10. Mizzougrad96

Typical coach bullshit.

11. Mizzougrad96

"So, Coach, did the story have fewer lies than your resume?"

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, that would be the BEST question ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted