1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldies punking newbies?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The_Plan, Jul 1, 2006.

1. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

Just curious to get some of your opinions on whether or not young writers are getting the proper respect/guidance from the veteran/older writers on staff.

It seems to me that many long-time writers are threatened by some of the college grads that come in and apply for jobs (and are hired). It's almost like they are trying to send the message that, "young people don't belong."

Personally, I don't act this way. I actually think that many of the young journalists today are extremely talented and are relatively up to par in terms of media ethics, proper journalism, and how to handle certain situations.

But again, I can't help but feel that some of these young people are getting slighted by jealous, ego-freak veteran writers. It's sort of like when I started playing golf 10-15 years ago as a young person.

I would get dropped off at the golf course by my parents, and I'd play with some of my friends that were the same age as me. We were well informed on golf etiquette, the rules of golf, and had very good manners. We were actually pretty good players too. Many of us shot low to mid-80s.

However, we'd get pissed on by the seniors and many other adults who said "kids don't belong on a golf course ..." or that we "aren't good enough."

It seems that the same thing occurs too often in regard to sports journalism and young people.

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Hasn't to me, and I guess I am young at 26 and more than five years in the biz. But then again, it's all how both sides approach it. if either side is arrogant and acts like they are better than the other, it won't work. if you treat people with respect, they should give it. but that is probably too simple.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Your sharp insight into journalism in particular and American society in general makes it such that you probably don't need the guidance of the so-called veterans of the trade. But I can see why they would be intimidated by you.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Never been a problem for me.

5. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Oldies punking newbies? It's happening on this board, I'm sure it's happening in real life. I haven't personally experienced it, though.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/28608/

It's this kind of mentally:
    The oldies seems to think that newbies get their job because they're cheaper, a notion that's garbage.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Bullshit.

7. JME

JME Member

PE

Once again, if you think that notion is totally garbage, you're clueless. Like I said to you before, you should learn a little more about the biz before you offer such strong, often incorrect, stances.

Hiring people because they are young and cheap is extremely prevalent -- and I say this as someone who is both.

8. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Sorry, JME. It's not totally garbage. I'm sure it happens in many places (newbies hired because they're cheaper, that is)

But I've said before that many fresh-out-of-college friends I know are getting more at big papers ($40-50K) right away than many oldies here will make after two decades.

9. JME

JME Member

Well, they are in the EXTREME minority for young reporters. But whatever.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Old rule applies: Those who won't help younger reporters probably have nothing much to offer. The best are generally the most secure and generous.

Ye Auld 'umble Servant, etc

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thank you. :)

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And then some.

Draft saved Draft deleted