1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldie but a goodie....(match is struck, fire is lit)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Mine's better, Ifilus!

[​IMG]

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Just curious: Did anyone read the original post, or is everyone, as usual, just responding not to what's posted, but who posted it?

If anyone did read it, I'd be interested in what you think. You don't see too many what I feel is a brutally honest article like that out of Europe.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Who would want to read all that verbiage? That would require the ability to analyze, pall..... don't confuse liberals with a dose of reality.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I read it. I'm not impressed. It's a right-wing tome masked in the cloak of fighting the war on terror.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You don't think Europe's disastrous history of appeasement applies in any way to the present day?

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

True. I was respecting your exclusivity.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pally, I think the thing here is that while Hitler and the German army were a force that the rest of Europe could identify and did nothing but twiddle their thumbs, that which is going on in Palestine, Israel and the Middle East is being waged by an enemy that, for the most part, is hard to identify.

With that in mind, I don't see the parallel between the two. Yes, something should be done about terrorist organizations, having grown up in a country that had those type of issues to deal with I can say that with certainty. But doing something and doing what will ultimately bring resolution and stability aren't always the same thing.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Appeasement has nothing to do with Iraq. In Iraq, the United States took a thouroughly neutralized country and turned it into a volatile albatross and the greatest recruiting tool for our enemy. Europe has this one right. Now, if we ever get our ass back on straight and focus on getting Bin Laden in Afghanistan and focus on developing compact, quick-strike forces to take out terrorism cell by cell, we would be justifiably angry if our European allies didn't help with that.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Excellent point Dooley.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I think the fact the enemy is not as easily identifiable as a sovereign nation, makes that enemy even more dangerous. It also makes it easier for people to do a little self-appeasement and ignore the threat. We're proving right now how hard it is to fight a nebulous enemy. All the more reason we need to figure it out. That means more debate, more ideas, more opinions. Not less.

"Europe has this one right." That made me laugh, Dools.

And who's talking specifically about Iraq? Big picture, please.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So you think Europe should pour money and lives into the quagmire-that-never-should-have-been that is Iraq? You're damn tooting I think Europe has it right.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

You're Iraq tangent is as predictable as the rest of this thread. By all means, we should follow the example of Europe. And the U.N., too.

Draft saved Draft deleted