1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest bars in America

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Neat feature on the oldest bars in each state.

Wanna guess which state has the oldest bar in the country?

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/the-oldest-bar-in-every-state-in-america-98176755662.html

I want to learn more about Kings Tavern in Mississippi.

2. Not sure how accurate some of this is .. W.Va lists the Three Gables Club (been there). But I don't think so. I know of at least one bar that's been around since 1899.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I got ripped as a young man at Boston's Green Dragon Tavern, est. 1714.
    The Sons of Liberty met there, Boston Tea Party was plotted there.
    Worth a visit.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I would have preferred the list be the longest continuously serving bars, allowing for the Prohibition interruption.

5. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Been to the Griswold Inn in Essex, Conn., many times. Awesome place. Mrs. Corky and I also went to the White Horse Tavern in Rhode Island a few years ago and it was great. Nice, big fireplaces on a cold winter's day.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Had many, many beers in King's Tavern. Wonderful place, although I think Natchez has fallen on harder times since I left.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Had a few in The Brick in Rosalyn as well.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I call BS on Virginia's entry. Gadsby's Tavern in Old Town Alexandria opened nine years before the one they listed.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too on VA. Abington is in the sticks of SW VA. NTTAWWT.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good one in Fernandina Beach, Fla. That entire town is a great escape from Jacksonville.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

It was called Fernandina at the time. My grandparents grew up there and my great uncle, a local lawyer, banker, judge and real estate developer suggested in the 1950s that it be renamed Fernandina Beach (to generate business - sounds more resortlike and less like the sleepy Southern town that it was)

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Raliegh Taverrn in Historic Williamsburg, Va opened in 1717 destroyed by fire in 1859 and reopened. Same place, different structure. Older than the Abington.

Been to the Middeton Tavern in Annapolis, often. Nice place, not as touristy as you'd think considering in is at the town dock. Best Crab cakes? hardly. But if you're not from the area they are good.

Draft saved Draft deleted