1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oldest active coaches.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Haven't looked it up, but I think it was as like a special teams coach or something. Not sure when he gave up the head coaching gig. That's another remarkable thing about Gagliardi - he's never been an assistant, not at high school or college. I'd say that won't ever happen again. His wins mark, though, could fall to Mount Union's Larry Kehres, who wouldn't even have to coach into his 80s if he keeps winning 15 games a year.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I did a story last year on a pair of assistants at I-AA Wofford. One is nearing 84 and the other is nearing 75.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Current Steelers defensive coordinator and former Bengals head coach Dick LeBeau celebrated his 70th birthday on Sunday.

4. Faithless

Faithless Member

Mississippi's all-time wins leader in high school football, Jim Drewry of Booneville, is on the sidelines this fall for his 43rd season as a head coach. Drewry, 76, has 321 career wins plus three state championships, which were won after he came back from a retirement that lasted just two years.

In Februrary, Drewry came awfully close to meeting that Great Playcaller in the Sky. His heart stopped while he was shopping at Wal-Mart. For a man who has handled the pressures of coaching for so many years, I'd hate to think it was those everyday low prices at Wal-Mart that caused his ticker to give out for good.

A bystander administered CPR and medics soon arrived with a defibrillator to revive Drewry. He wound up getting a combo pacemaker/defibrillator in his chest. After a lengthly recovery period, Drewry decided he was ready for another season.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

LeBeau doesn't look a day over 55. He could easily be in the NFL in his 80s.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From what we have so far:
    -- Oldest active assistant we know of is the guy at Wofford at 84.
    -- Oldest active college head coach is Gagliardi (a month or so older than Paterno).
    -- Oldest active high school head coach is Tighe.

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

John Winkin, who led the Maine baseball teams to all those College World Series berths in the 80s, is still coaching D-III baseball in Maine at 88.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Good call on Winkin, Cougargirl...87 and head coach at Husson College in Maine

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2JmZnYmVsN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MTYzNDYy

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Is John Brophy still bouncing around hockey's minor leagues?

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He was with the Richmond Renegades last year in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL), but word had it that he was retiring following the season.

Never a dull moment with that guy and a question. Enjoyed the candor.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

87 is the new ... damn, that's just old.

70, however, isn't so much anymore. Hell, you pups are gonna have to be working past that before you can draw social security.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You mean, Social Security will exist in 40 years?

Doubtful.

Draft saved Draft deleted