1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Old coaches (beyond 80 years old) still working the sidelines ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I'm in the process of writing a big feature on a former coach who has 57 years of experience, won numerous championships at the high school level (37 years total), retired, went to a local community college and put in another 20 years and, because he's 86 now, he finally decided to call it quits.

I'd be interested to know if there are any other coaches out there -- HS, JC, four-year college -- who are still coaching in their 80s. And, for the record, Joe Pa isn't in the conversation - yet.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

There's a guy in Lexington, Mass. in his 80s who has been coaching for 53 years or so. Most people around here think he's the oldest high school coach in the country. I think there are records to back it up.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

A slight correction to my opening post. When he went to the community college, he did so as an assistant.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Augie Bossu of Cleveland Benedictine HS was head coach from 1955 to 1994 and coached the freshman team after that. He is 90, and this will be the first season in forever that he's not on the sidelines -- but he'll be back!

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/bill_livingston/index.ssf?/base/sports/1156149155324170.xml&coll=2

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

he's probably holding out...

Draft saved Draft deleted