1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olbermann out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PCLoadLetter, Jan 21, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree. :)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That is goddamn quality

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every one of Olbermann's approximately 12,894 jobs in TV journalism, sports or otherwise, have ended in the same way (hell, it's happened TWICE on MSNBC alone). He is constitutionally unable to stick with a gig. He either quits or essentially fires himself by picking incomprehensible and unwinnable fights with his employer of the moment.
    "Olbermann out" is "Dog Bites Man" in spades. He'll probably get a book deal now, and so help me, he'll fire himself from writing it.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does he somehow justify his resignation (or blame his firing) on the Comcast takeover of NBC?

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

First move of the new Comcast regime?

6. YankeeFan

@HowardKurtz

It is true. MSNBC contract has ended. Olbermann is outta there. Lawrence O'Donnell moves to 8, the Ed Show to 10

7. YankeeFan

Video here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036677/vp/41201922#41201922

8. Does anyone think Olbermann's ratings came close to justifying his contract? Is anyone really surprised at this business decision?

Maybe he can get a gig at NPR

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

MSNBC: Now even more unwatchable!

It's too bad, because when Olbermann started Countdown, it was a great show. It was funny and irreverent, yet informative, in a way Olbermann hadn't been since his "Big Show" days. The Oddball year-end wrapups were pants-pissing hilarious. I would think the beginning of the end, qualitatively, was when his first "Special Comment" became such a phenomenon. All of a sudden, he really thought he was Edward R. Murrow, when he was still more Howard Beale.

Have ratings gone down since Obama's election? I remember Olbermann saying that MSNBC didn't care what he said as long as it made money. So is it not making money anymore?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mission Accomplished !

11. printdust

printdust New Member

His stab at ESPN about cutting his farewell in half to get a soccer story in brought some emotion from him...and is par for the course on how you can go to ratings giant to discardable trash in any such setting.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Agreed. Inspired work.

Draft saved Draft deleted