1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Olberman Has His Wings Clipped

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 7, 2008.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Obviously baloney peddled by the right.
    Somebody had to mind the store in New York for Gustav.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You would also think the media would have learned their lesson from the 2000 election, whic proved polls are meaningless, and the runup to the Iraq War, in which they were played like a violin (with a few exceptions who were basically shouted down).

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Bullshit - when does Olbermann anchor that stuff? They bring in Lester Holt to do it.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We can't have anchors being commentators, but in newspapers, we're tripping over ourselves making sure that our reporters all do blogs, where they pull back the curtains on their views and share their edgy "takes."

This isn't being more honest, this is being unprofessional. If you've been trained and hired to be a reporter, you adhere to certain standards of striving for objectivity and fairly presenting all sides of an issue. Editors who push their people to ignore those standards just to create content for an extra media platform, at no additional charge, are violating a tenet of this profession.

Hire some freaking online writers, and don't prostitute your reporters.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

MSNBC and ESPN have the same problem in blurring the line between "anchor" and news personality. I'd seen Olbermann anchor a few of the GOP debates early in the season and he seemed a lot more professional than Matthews who was gushing about Reagan's big plane and the smell of Fred Thompson. I don't get MSNBC anymore and I don't miss it, MSNBC has been running amok.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Agreed. Olbermann needs to be reined in.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Keith is getting a raw deal here. Who, after all, is the guy bringing in the ratings?

David Gregory is the definition of "mimbo"

8. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Isn't MSNBC the lowest rated of the cable news networks? I know a year or two ago I saw some Neilsen ratings of their shows were getting 0.0's!!

So, I guess the real questions is either a) Will anyone even notice? or b) Can this possibly make their ratings get lower?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You're not kidding. His SNL is classic. I still love the last sketch with the "Nightly News" new opening ala 007. Shows ya he has a sense of humor.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

2,638 posts from you, and maybe 5 aren't stupid.
    Have you SEEN Olbermann's behavior lately or are you just googling and using blogs?

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Prediction: the right will soon be even more outraged by Rachel Maddow than by Keith.
    While K.D. Lang's younger sister has neither the ego nor aggressiveness of KO, you know the fact that a lesbian finally has a political talk show will piss the O'Reillys and Palins of the world off no end. Besides, she has now joined Anthony Bourdain, Bill Clinton, Captain Sig from "Deadliest Catch" and Penelope Cruz on Mrs. T.'s Larry David Pass list.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Actualy she does have an ego. She apparently tried to bigfoot on the way in and demanded all sorts of changes from the personnel of the show before and got slapped down big time.

Draft saved Draft deleted