1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman shakeup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

That ad deck sold me on one thing: Even ad decks need better-trained eyes than that one was given. Inconsistency in style and presentation, awkward line breaks and so on. Shaking my head ... shit ain't that hard to make appear that someone cares how it comes across.

Liut and SixToe like this.
  2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

3. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

$120 a year! I hope it works out for her but that sounds like a steep price. Or maybe I'm just the classic sportswriter undervaluing my own work. Could be both.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

That's $2.30 a week. That's peanuts. I subscribe to a couple with similar rates, one for food and one for sports.

Her talents and experience are worth more, obviously, but clearly she's angling for the volume at the low price.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Excellent point on the weekly rate. Bad interpretation of the price by me. I hope she succeeds.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody know how much the author actually makes? Of the $120/year, does Carlson keep $40? $30?

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Not to be a contrarian, but not sure I'd find even $2.30 or whatever a week to be worth it for 1 writer's work.

The list price for The Athletic is, what $7.99 a month, so that's under $2 a week for a crapton of writers in a crapton of markets. There are times I wonder how worth it that is.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

10. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

I tinkered around with a Substack a while back for a very niche thing and realized pretty quickly that it wasn't even going to be worth it as a supplementary income type of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted