1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman shakeup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2023.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm awaiting Sill Bimmons to drop by and tell us how great things are.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Greg Bedard is still going with Boston Sports Journal, which had rumors about people not getting paid in its first few years.

3. PaperClip529

PaperClip529 Active Member

This is a very long post, but one ex-employee gives his breakdown about what the Sellout founders were selling during the recruiting process and the mistakes he made in naively believing that vision.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Carlson's podcast with Koehler also in retrospect sounds absurd.

‎The Jenni Carlson Show: The secret origin of Sellout Crowd on Apple Podcasts

And Deitsch did a pod with Carlson and he expressed some skepticism at their ad-heavy model instead of paywall.

‎Sports Media with Richard Deitsch: Kendall Baker of Yahoo Sports on sports newsletters, and Jenni Carlson of SelloutCrowd.com on starting a new sports digital site on Apple Podcasts

And the Lost Ogle blog has written a bunch about the site and also had their ad deck, which seemed quite ambitious at the time and now of course looks like a fantasy land.

https://lede-admin.thelostogle.com/...024/03/🚀-SELLOUT-CROWD-AD-DECK_July-2023-.pdf

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the guy, but wow, the warning signs were BLARING there. (I'm also a complete idiot when it comes to finances and might have taken a leap of faith too)

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Especially if there were guarantees of three years of full funding and paychecks going in. That's a lot more than many sports media places can assure you of these days.

As far as that Koehler is concerned, this is the kind of shady shit that can get a person killed and dumped in an alley somewhere. Alleged shady shit.

FileNotFound likes this.
  7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I had the urge to scroll down to the end of the comments.
    I was not disappointed that this guy came back for a parting shot...

upload_2024-5-15_23-26-7.png

2muchcoffeeman and MeanGreenATO like this.
  8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Just saw his longer post in PaperClip's link above.
    Glad he could tell his story and get it off his chest, etc.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Noted: The former doesn’t always lead to the latter. There is a “Step 2” between those things and it has to be more than the big question mark that the management clearly had here.

wicked likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Toby Keith (RIP) funding journalism that wasn't OANN-level was only the first red flag.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

No such thing as a safe newspaper job.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fixed. Your boss will turf you if it means he can get a $2k bonus for saving $$$.

Amazing in this day and age that anyone would expect success out of any medium-sized venture that’s reliant on ad revenue and not reader revenue.

HanSenSE and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted