1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoman shakeup

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Both Tramel and Carlson are leaving, apparently to start a website.

Kinda weird they got this sendoff since it sounds like they are going to be competing with their prior employer

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Love how the main cutline solves the mystery that Carlson and Tramel are posing for a photo.

We see that everywhere now. A cardinal rule of cutlines – Don't describe the obvious! – appears to have been lost again.

But, if so, there was plenty of room left, so the "copy editor" could have written "pose for a photo by our photographer." I mean, come on!

SFIND and dixiehack like this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I don't know how much of it is public but there is a big benefactor backing this new Oklahoma publication. Should be very interesting.

5. Sill Bimmons

Sill Bimmons New Member

More than one big benefactor actually.

6. Della9250

It just seems very non-newspaper to give them the full front sports page with all the fanfare and next week it'll be like -- hey don't go read them over at this website over our people.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I have a feeling there is more to this story forthcoming.

8. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

This will be interesting to watch. Tramel is huge in Oklahoma. However, in the whole history of new sports websites, I'm not sure the success rate is high and I don't think many or any duplicate the depth of coverage that newspapers did at their best. It's just not the same and investors seem to realize that after 2-3 years when the bills come in for traveling with the Sooners or Thunder. I hope they find a model that succeeds.

9. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

10. Della9250

The names on the site:

Tramel
    Carlson
    Guerin Emig
    Ed Murray
    Sam Mayes
    Todd Lisenbee
    Eli Lederman
    Brett Dawson
    Jon Hamm

And it's offering "the best content in Oklahoma" so again I'm surprised the Oklahoman didn't just drop them or maybe they don't care

11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

The Oklahoman is run by Gannett.

Odds are Gannett has no idea what's actually going on.

12. Sill Bimmons

Sill Bimmons New Member

Gannett thinks they can grow by cutting, not grow by adding talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted