1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma- what region?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by writing irish, Mar 23, 2008.

?

In which region of the U.S. is Oklahoma?

1. Midwest

29.3%
  2. South

9.8%
  3. Southwest

41.5%
  4. All of the above- it's a mix

19.5%
  1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, what say? Dear old Indian Territory/No Man's Land. Truly a unique history. Unlike many Texans, I'm no Oklahoma hater. I mean, fuck, Oklahoma gave us Will Rogers, Merle Haggard and Leon Russell. Even Reba was cool at first. The Stillwater alt-country scene is cool even if Stillwater sucks. Norman is a great town. As for Chris Gaines Garth, well the place isn't entirely without fault. Tulsa...feh. Phariseeville.

Anyway, in what region is the 47th State? (Centennial was last year, in case you missed it)

Seems to me OK has the greatest regional ambiguity of any state.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You forgot Mickey Mantle.

As for your question, I'd say Midwest.

3. writing irish

Thanks. I always identify him with Dallas since he retired there, but yup, an Okie.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

For some reason, I've always called it the Texas region, if only for the Texas League.

No idea why, and I know for a fact that would hold up nowhere if I made that argument. Hell, I think they're down to just one Oklahoma team, too.

5. writing irish

Okies would resent being lumped in with Texas, I'm sure.

Forgot to mention- most convincing post in this thread wins a Roy Clark E-Z Notetm Guitar Song Book.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

mantle didn't play in no fucking texas region.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If Oklahoma is in the Midwest. The Midwestern states are now Northmidwestnereasternish..

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ok-la-fucking-homa sure as shit ain't the Midwest.

No region. Just Okies.

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

The NCAA says they're in the East Region. And a 6 seed.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what did mantle say?

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"Someone get me a drink."

12. writing irish

For those of you not up on some of the less celebrated episodes in U.S. history, Oklahoma was Indian Territory at the time of the Civil War and most of the Native Americans (who were overwhelmingly relocated peoples from elsewhere) actually sided with the South, though this sentiment was hardly unanimous. The famous (infamous) "Sooner" land grab occurred in 1889.

Draft saved Draft deleted