1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State women's coach killed in plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OJ1414, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not. The game wasn't in Stillwater and the football team was probably already on the way to Ames when it was confirmed the plane went down.

Same thing happened back in the early 90s when there was a school shooting at the University of Iowa. The football team was already in Columbus to play Ohio State. They played the game.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I guess sometimes you just have to keep it business as usual...

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Condolences to the families and friends of those who died.
    RIP

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

5. accguy

accguy Member

The thing that I didn't see mentioned on this thread is not only was the pilot in his 80s, the plane was about 50 years old.

How is that safe?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The story I saw also mentioned that had there been even 1 student-athlete on this trip the school would not have allowed them to fly on that plane with that pilot.

The rules OSU put in place for team travel following the 2001 crash only cover flights involving student-athletes. I imagine that will change after this.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

This may not be relevant, but our helicopters are 30 years old and have been in combat -- in some cases -- four times. Old aircraft can be maintained pretty well.

Draft saved Draft deleted