1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State women's coach killed in plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OJ1414, Nov 18, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Tragic.

And you have to think that the pilot was doing the coach a favor by flying them on the trip, saving the program a few bucks. But man, 82-years old? I don't know if I've ever been in a car driven by an 82-year old.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That gave me pause too. Hopefully it was mechanical failure or something else outside the pilot's control.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Couple of things not adding up here. I'm assuming the senator and Mrs. Senator were flying the plane. But two coaches on the same trip, unless they were looking at different players?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He was a nice guy in my very limited dealings with him. RIP.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's possible it was a high-level kid the assistant was recruiting and the head guy was there to close to deal. That's not that uncommon.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Correct.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That I can see. Granted, I don't know (and a lot olf things I don't want to know) about the recruiting process, but do know we're in the midst of the early signing period, only because we've had to cover three high school ceremonies in the last week.

Either that or I'm looking for something that's not there!

8. Armchair_QB

Yeah, the only way I'm getting into a plane piloted by somebody that old is if there is another younger pilot on board.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I won't say the best aviators are old guys, but I can vouch for the number of older instructors teaching Army aviators at Ft. Rucker. They are consistently employed in the instrument examiner course, in which they teach instructor pilots how to teach and evaluate the instrument flying skills of Army aviators. Smart, smart guys.

I have flown with several 60- and 70-year old pilots and have no issue with it. And those flights are in helicopters in one of the busiest environments imaginable. Planes are generally much, much easier to fly.

10. Armchair_QB

I'm more concerned about the guy having a heart attack in flight.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's not only a problem with old people, though.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm still stunned that they played the game last night. Maybe this has been discussed on the other thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted