1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma restaurant refuses to serve gays, welfare recipients and the disabled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Lol. Never heard that term before. Wasn't part of the "where you, y'all from?" Harvard dialect quiz.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I always liked Ron White's retort.

"Only fruits wear hats! We're trying to keep them out of our club!"
    "Oh, really, where I'm from, the way we can tell is if they wear their hair like ... yours!"

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I don't know who I heard it from but I was listening to some stand-up comedy this week and some guy said that. I laughed so hard and figured I had to incorporate that into my use.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I think I heard the same routine.

Patton Oswalt talking about the apocolypse, I think, and how the survivors would stick him on the front of their vehicle naked and offer up a chance to take a run at his "dirt button" if the others choose their side. Then he said something about how it doesn't bother him, because his ass is as gaping as an empty tube of circus peanuts and he won't feel a thing.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I think that was it actually. Nice grab. :)

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So if you have a business, you can't choose your customers? I've seen all sorts of establishments displaying signs reading "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." OK, fine. Private business, their call.

At the core, it's no different than a club that has certain economic standards for membership.

The guy may lose some customers and good will, but he's certainly within his rights to do so.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ultimate Fighting, I'll bet.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I once was denied entry into a bar in Japan basically for being an American male with short hair.

The place had just created a "No. U.S. Servicemen" rule because of recent mayhem/fights caused by our drunken sailors, but went way over-inclusive in enforcement and started booting other non-servicemen (like me) merely for looking kinda "Navy-ish."

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Legally, he is not. Those signs do not have the force of law.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hell, I've walked out of establishments because I didn't happen to like the band that was playing that day. People pick and choose for all sorts of reasons. I wouldn't go make a stink with management, unless I had reserved some spaces in advance for a group function. If it's just me or a small group, I just leave and go someplace else. Not a big deal.

Oh, and, yes, there have been places where I've been told to leave. Not fun. My responses vary depending on time and place.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Playgrounds?

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Health Dept.

That's different.

Draft saved Draft deleted