1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Okie State "streamlines" access for media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JRoyal, Sep 24, 2013.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I got this from an FSU beat writer who compared notes with his counterpart at Florida. Last season, during the week before the Florida-FSU game, Florida made four players available, and none of them played QB. FSU made 27 players available (pretty much anyone requested was brought out during lunch or after practice) and the only restriction was that you could only get EJ Manuel on Monday -- for about 35 minutes.

2. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I wouldn't use that kid's comment in that context either, but I certainly would have had a couple of followup questions about what he said. Then decide if it's worth using.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Manziel is a Heisman Trophy winner with more than half a million Twitter followers. When he tweets something its akin to issuing a press release.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Kids say stupid shit all the time. You could do a story a day with stupid stuff people say. Wouldn't accomplish anything and you wouldn't make any friends in the process.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The trickle down from Bowden vs. the trickle down from Spurrier/Meyer.

Muschamp strikes me as a guy who's been the fast-riser his whole career, and thus entitled to believe every restriction he makes is a useful one.

A lot of the younger coaches are too strident.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Florida probably has the worst access of any school and if FSU is like it was under Bowden, and it sounds like it is, then it probably has the best access.

I don't know how much of this can be blamed on Muschamp. Florida's access has been terrible since the late 1990s. They don't call Florida's athletic program "The Firm" for nothing.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect by the end of the decade, if not sooner, there will NO locker room access at colleges or pro events. All interviews will have to be done in the media room with a media liaison present.

Part of the changing culture. With the internet and broadcasting, teams don't NEED the media in the way they used to. Broadcasters pay a rights fee to carry an event, so they have some leverage. Newspapers and magazines and local stations don't. And don't even get me started on bloggers? Issuing press credentials to bloggers was the most short-sighted thing ever.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Works in politics like a dream.

You can control bloggers, use them to create whatever message you want, because they don't have the institution of a large paper and news organization behind them.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

My problem with that is that anyone can do. What qualifications does one have to have in order to be a blogger? Hell, even I can be a blogger.

If you want to dissiminate propaganda, PR people do that fine.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Who said I like bloggers.

Better to send out propaganda through sites unaffiliated with the institution. Again, politics has nailed this. Fox News is the propaganda arm of the tea party bankrollers.

Draft saved Draft deleted