1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OKC media vs. OKC Thunder

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackReacher, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I agree. That's why I didn't call Mr. Westbrook a thug. Didn't realize thug was the new "N" word. Apparently it is to some. But it's still not to me. I'm old school baby.

Also, Frederick, You are mistaken. I didn't call him a thug.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The OKC media can now interview Westbrook on the golf course.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Ok, but still, why did you consider him thuggish? He looked to me more like a spoiled brat than a thug during that interview.

4. Doc Holliday

they're all the same to me. Thug, punk, brat, dipshit. No difference in my book.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Leads one to wonder why you keep returning to thug in reference to black athletes if your vocabulary is so rich.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The definition of thug is a violent criminal. It's not the same as calling someone a brat.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

My bad. I thought I read on here you called him a thug. Sorry bout that.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Westbrook is a talented asshole with bad style and questionable social skills.

9. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Did you watch the exchange? He didn't seem like a thug, punk or dipshit. Maybe a brat. I thought words to describe Westbrook in that particular situation: "out of line in thinking he could run the press conference," "rude in not letting Adams speak." And "insensitive in not letting the reporter do his job." And "too powerful" in getting away with his preventing a question from being asked.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Westbrook comes off like a baby here, and good for the reporter. It was obviously a legitimate question with stats and numbers to back it up. Westbrook has been in this league for long enough. When is he going to learn how to deal with these situations?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think he just showed that he has learned to deal with these situations pretty effectively.

Westbrook was sticking up for his teammates and heading off a line of questioning he didn't like. I've heard a lot of comments about what happened, and literally the only people I've heard criticizing Westbrook are other reporters. He came off just fine to the general public. Compare his response to what Paul George did -- they're both facing the same line of questioning about their shitty teammates and Westbrook came off infinitely better than George.

None of this is a criticism of Berry Tramel, who was asking about a perfectly legit topic and was perfectly within his rights to pursue an answer from Adams. (The question was kind of a dumb one, that that's not really the point.). Bottom line is, if Russ is at the table and doesn't like the question, you aren't getting an answer.

12. Doc Holliday

For my generation, a thug doesn't necessarily have to be a violent criminal. It can just be an asshole or someone with a shitty personality, which fits this guy perfectly.

Draft saved Draft deleted