1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'OK, you're a runner. Get over it'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 15, 2013.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people who love to run, and they talk about it all the time. The wrost offenders have been hidden on my Facebook feed. You don't need to post a message every day! I hate running, and I really don't see the point of it. Competition? Unless you've been training your whole life, you ain't going to win jack squat. I get competing with yourself to improve, and it is a tremendous accomplishment to run a full marathon (albeit insane). The stickers and shit don't bother me, but don't act like you're better than me because you run. And hardcore runners are not usually that physically attractive. I prefer doing my running in the process of playing a sport -- or commission of a crime :). I ran some road races when I was a kid. Never been my thing. Rather ride a bike.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Strava made me dope.

I hate running and I want to at least do a half marathon next summer.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Win jack squat? If you mean anything of real monetary value, you are correct. If you mean the satisfaction of beating other people in your age group, a cheap trophy, or maybe a gift card if you are lucky, then you are wrong. That's the good thing about running 5Ks, 10Ks, etc., because runners compete against people in their own age bracket. It's always a level field. Bigger races, you'd better be a top runner. Smaller races, it gives everyone a chance to be successful. It's really no different than golfers competing in the local scramble tour.

As for the "look at me tattoos," they are really for couch potatoes to care about. They are for a different audience and are a badge of honor. To be more specific, mine is for me. I earned it. Running a marathon is a quest, and it can't ever be taken away.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have no problem with a tattoo for such an accomplishment. I think that's cool. I guess living in a larger city I don't see any potential for the average runner to even win his/her age group. This is a pretty big running community, and the races here are really competitive. I actually loved running in grade school when I would whip everyone's ass in the long distances. But I would have no chance to be competitive now. Never mind that my legs can't take the constant pounding anymore.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

That's where blue font isn't needed. Or...I guess it does?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'd hope so. You got a tattoo of it.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Classy.

Who. Who. Who. It ain't that hard. People are who, not that.

9. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm a runner, but through injury have been unable since probably early Sept. I'm looking at having surgery in Jan, on a leg that literally only bothers me when running and is fine at all other times, just so that I can keep running. If you're a runner, you understand why I'm doing that. If you're like my mother, you question why I don't just find some other sport.

What I mean is, a lot of this run talk is meant for other runners. And since this is such a common sport, its easy to talk about in the open and know that many can commiserate.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm going on a five mile run this morning. Well, its actually more of a jog than a run. I'll give you all the details here when I get back. If I get a tat to commemorate it, I'll post it.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A little background on a prior post: Alma considers pride a mortal sin.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the record: Not my tat. Don't even own a bike. Tat from Google images.

Draft saved Draft deleted