1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ok, who have you been Right about, contrary to popular opinion?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought Drew Brees was a steal as a second rounder for San Diego.

I thought Jason Williams would be a bust leaving Duke. More or less, he was.

I thought the Buzzards Wizards should have kept Ben Wallace.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Brandon Webb. He had a lot of doubters when he followed up the big rookie year with a bad second season, but that sinker is just too damn good for him not to be a tremendous pitcher.

Joey Porter is another one, though obviously the Steelers knew before I did. Saw some in college and in spot duty as a rookie and I was positive he was going to be a hell of a player.

On the negative side, I hated the Steelers' pick of Tim Worley (I think it was '88) over Andre Rison. Bad Moon may have been a pain in the ass, but he was a very good receiver. Worley sucked.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

With that, I agree. Only because any time a QB brings skills beyond the norm to the position, the NFL establishment -- fans, media, coaches -- is going to beat him into submission, telling him there's only one way to play the position. Happened with Kordell Stewart, it's happening with Vick, and it'll happen with Vince Young.
    Meanwhile, conventional QBs like Rex Grossman can't complete three passes in a row. But at least they can't run to create other possibilities.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh yeah - Vince is getting real beat up these days by the media and fans.

The media - and certainly the adoring Atlanta fans - have been more than patient and fair with Vick. Especially former quarterbacks-turned-broadcasters.

And Stewart was partially submarined by his own teammates. And he had every chance to start over with the Bears, and didn't capitalize on it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stewart wasn't submarined by his teammates. He was taken down by his own inability to be anything more than an erratic, mediocre quarterback. He was given more opportunities than he ever earned in Pittsburgh.

Stewart was nowhere near the runner that Vick and Young are. Vick, in particular, runs like a tailback. And I mean that as a compliment. He has the moves and makes good cuts, things Stewart couldn't do. Stewart also had no pocket presence at all. He wasn't nearly as good at avoiding the pass rush as he should have been.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I remember thinking the teams from 15th on down in the first round were batshit crazy for ignoring Demeco Ryans.

Draft saved Draft deleted