1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK smartphone users ... help me out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Nov 23, 2010.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I may be taking the iPhone plunge, but I want to know if the AT&T $15 data plan is enough bandwidth for a months worth of usage or if I'm going to end up racking up a ton of overcharges (I refuse to call them "overages").

I mean, I don't think I'll be a full-blown web-browsing maniac, but I want to be sure I'm not going to go over if I check my email and fantasy team a few times per week.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You won't have any overages if you're using wifi.

3. bigpern23

To clarify, I'm going to get the 3GS, not the iPhone 4 ... does the 3GS have wifi connectivity?

4. Inky_Wretch

It should. I don't know why it wouldn't. My original iPhone has it.

5. bigpern23

Gotcha ... I tried to check the AT&T website, but it's FUBAR for me at the moment.

So do you have to choose WiFi or 3G, or does it select it automatically? Am I going to think I'm on WiFi and not realize that I'm not?

6. Inky_Wretch

When you look at the phone, there's a little logo at the top that will tell you if you're on AT&T's network or wifi.

[​IMG]

The above image is showing the phone is on wifi.

Once you hit a hotspot, the phone will automatically switch to it next time you're in range. And if there are wifi signals floating around you haven't used before, the phone will ask if you'd like to join them.

7. bigpern23

Cool, thanks, Inky ... What about when you're not on WiFi ... is it easy to burn through the allotted megabytes quickly? I have no idea how many megs loading a webpage takes.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

If you're not on WiFi, and you plan to do anything besides basic browsing, be cautious. The 200MB allowance can go pretty quickly if you happen to watch a few YouTube vids or sports highlights, etc.

9. Inky_Wretch

I've never gone over the limit, but then again I rarely use the online stuff when I'm off wifi. I'll check and send e-mails, but that's about it.

Of course, I'm on the iPhone 1.0 on the Edge network which is about as fast as the old dial-up Internet connections.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do people actually have data plans with megabyte limits? Why not just spend the extra few bucks and get unlimited data?

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

You can go with the smaller plan to start and monitor your usage, and if it's too high, you can go back and change it retroactive to the beginning of the billing cycle. That's what I just did with text messages.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

What's the price difference between the limited and unlimited data plans?

Draft saved Draft deleted