1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK liberals and other Democrat fans....you get Congress back. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

Waist Deep In The Big Muddy
    by Pete Seeger 1963, planned for the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1967 but CBS objected to the blacklisted Seeger making obvious references to the"big fool" in the White House, finally sung by Seeger on the Comedy Hour in 1968 as the finale in a medley of anti-war songs

It was back in nineteen forty-two,
    I was a member of a good platoon.
    We were on maneuvers in-a Loozianna,
    One night by the light of the moon.
    The captain told us to ford a river,
    That's how it all begun.
    We were -- knee deep in the Big Muddy,
    But the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, are you sure,
    This is the best way back to the base?"
    "Sergeant, go on! I forded this river
    'Bout a mile above this place.
    It'll be a little soggy but just keep slogging.
    We'll soon be on dry ground."
    We were -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
    And the big fool said to push on.

The Sergeant said, "Sir, with all this equipment
    No man will be able to swim."
    "Sergeant, don't be a Nervous Nellie,"
    The Captain said to him.
    "All we need is a little determination;
    Men, follow me, I'll lead on."
    We were -- neck deep in the Big Muddy
    And the big fool said to push on.

All at once, the moon clouded over,
    We heard a gurgling cry.
    A few seconds later, the captain's helmet
    Was all that floated by.
    The Sergeant said, "Turn around men!
    I'm in charge from now on."
    And we just made it out of the Big Muddy
    With the captain dead and gone.

We stripped and dived and found his body
    Stuck in the old quicksand.
    I guess he didn't know that the water was deeper
    Than the place he'd once before been.
    Another stream had joined the Big Muddy
    'Bout a half mile from where we'd gone.
    We were lucky to escape from the Big Muddy
    When the big fool said to push on.

Well, I'm not going to point any moral;
    I'll leave that for yourself
    Maybe you're still walking, you're still talking
    You'd like to keep your health.
    But every time I read the papers
    That old feeling comes on;
    We're -- waist deep in the Big Muddy
    And the big fool says to push on.

Waist deep in the Big Muddy
    Waist deep in the Big Muddy
    Waist deep! Neck deep! Soon even a
    Tall man'll be over his head, we're
    Waist deep in the Big Muddy!
    And the big fool says to push on!

Words and music by Pete Seeger (1967)
    TRO (c) 1967 Melody Trails, Inc. New York, NY

2. Absolutely correct.
    I don't want to impeach him either, based on what I know, unless there's a decent chance at the 2/3rds in the Senate. Although, if you follow the argument used against Bill Clinton, he's eminently impeachable, considering he's already confessed to breaking the FISA law 40 times.
    I wouldn't mind seeing some people go to prison behind the profiteering, though.

3. And this is the stupidest post of the year.

4. standman

standman Member

Maybe in 10 years the expression look it up on my web site will work, but running for office is a sales job and people just weren't prepared to vote for a guy with a big bag of nothing and a nutty wife after reading his web site.

The question that would have stumped him in a town hall debate is "can you tell me the most significant bill you authored in 20 years in office that impacted the average american's life." There are a bunch of senators that you know and don't always agree with that have at least put out something meaningful.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Full disclosure, Yawn. I am a conservative Republican who is arguing that the Dems should spend the next two years looking forward instead of going backward. I also believe if the GOP loses Congress, it's their own fault.

You won't get an argument from me that Bush is leading. I'd like to see the other side propose policies. Like I said, I may not like them, but it'll be a change from bash bash bash.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

It would also be a change from screwup, screwup, screwup, which will be particularly nice.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

OTD is right here. Americans have a fundamental right to spend themselves deep into debt, buying important things like Ipods and four-wheelers, and then refuse to pay back the people who loaned them the money.
    What kind of country would deny a man such basic freedoms?

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The majority of bankruptcies are caused by medical expenses (often brought on by a lack of health insurance), but keep buying the corporate line about credit cards.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Let's also not forget that a large number of those banruptcies come from 20-somethings who the credit card companies targeted walking around college campuses when they were 18 or 19. They knew damn well what was going to happen -- the kids would get into a tight spot with cash and pull out the card, run it up and then struggle to pay. And the minute they were late on the first bill, the interest rate shot through the damn roof and landed on a number just short of qualifying the CC company as a loan shark.

But yeah, they're the victim in all this.

I'd be willing to bet that the people who buy stupid shit with no intention of ever paying a dime make up about 5% of the bankruptcies in this country.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The first thing the Democrats should do is position themselves as Washington's more fiscally responsible party. It really shouldn't be that hard, if you consider the following:

http://www.heritage.org/research/features/BudgetChartBook/charts_C/c6.cfm

Even in the "darkest days" of the Clinton-Democratic Congress regime, the number of pork projects was 12.2 percent of what it was in 2005. No Republican/conservative with a conscience can excuse or explain any of this recklessness.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think Kerry was for this from the outset, as were many of your lefties.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I woke up early and lots of posts to respond to....as for this one, sorry for the racist remark. I just don't see many camels going down mainstreet America, nor through our freakin' American deserts, as few as there may be.

Draft saved Draft deleted