1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK liberals and other Democrat fans....you get Congress back. Now what?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think there is a contrast to what Americans think are entitlements, such as the degree of welfare, social services, health care. I think there's varying opinions on the levels people are "entitled" too. Not debating this, just tossing it out as a reality. What you think you're entitled to may be less than what some think, more than others.

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Yawn, you're well named.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Still haven't seen any substantive Democrat plan by the SportsJournalists.com liberal faction.

Just psuedo-investigations, lip service, and insults.

Typical.

My point is proven. Looking forward to the next two years, and at least you reflect your party.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lol

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

First off, taking both houses will be difficult because the Democrats need a net gain of six seats in the Senate

But if both houses are Democratic on January 3, 2007

1. Reinstate the Estate Tax, although you raise the level where the tax kicks in - maybe to $1-million or $1.5-million with an exemption for one piece of real property. Even at $600,000, only two percent of people paid these taxes. This was the most glaring example of how the GOP was for the wealthy at the expense of the federal treasury.

2. Reform the Alternative Minimum Tax - this was intended for well-off people who paid no taxes but the amounts were never indexed. Fix this so it doesn't affect middle-class families.

3. Provide a flat amount exemption on capital gains.... but once it goes over a certain amount, then tax capital gains closer to the way regular income is taxes.

4. Investigate, Investigate, Investigate... The war profiteers need to be brought into public light where nobody can hide. That's one thing Bush can't veto.

5. Pass some sort of program making a priority to get training to people who lose their jobs.

6. Make high-profile programs to help wounded veterans get skills and jobs and make absolutely sure they are taken care of and not forgotten.

7. Put the heat on Iraqis to take control of their own situation.

8. Take action to cover people who don't have health insurance - like every other major industrial nation in the world.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I was thinking that the new "Blowjob for Bank Card Companies" (aka, the new bankruptcy rules) might get a looking-at as well.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Dear Yawn, poindexter and other wing-nuts:

What exactly has been proven...that no one here is in a policy-making position? That no one here is going to say Democrats will definitively do this, this this, and this?

The two things I guarantee is the largest federal deficit in history will be greatly and quickly reduced (as it was under Clinton after we got done with the wonderfully prosperous Reagan years) and America's worldwide image will improve because we will not be playing drunken cowboy and invading nations we have no right going into...not that you Bushies care about such trivial tings.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hire a career counsellor for Fredo.

At some point he'll have to get the first job in his life --all on his own.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here is what'll happen. The Dems will take the House, but the Senate will go 50-50 and thus the GOP holds the Senate (because Cheney breaks the tie). Then Chafee will be money-whipped to switch sides, and the Senate will fall into Democratic hands too.

Gold hit most of what should be hit (though the Dems should do a better job with their platform). There will be multiple investigations into Iraq, Plamegate, etc. A few high-ranking heads will roll, but most likely, said personnel will get out while the getting is good. Rummy being one of the first to bail.

And there will be no impeachment. Bush will serve out his full term (with his political nuts cut off, mind you.) Just having him hanging around as an albatross around the elephant's neck is plenty fine for the Dems in 2008.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The old GOP doubleplay combination of lobbyists + bought legislators = all-business-all-the-time
    legislation and facilitated schtup-the-middle-class thievery slows to a crawl.

And about damn time.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Yeah, but will Nancy Pelosi call me and ask for my sage advice? Noooooooooooo :)

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Isn't a yawn a signal that the brain needs more oxygen and blood flow?

Draft saved Draft deleted