1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...and yours to help! (updated on Page 2)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Mar 20, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

But I don't do that mainstream shit. I go for the high-quality goodness. :D

Tonight, I taped my appearance as a contestant on the NPR quiz show "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me." The panel consisted of Charlie Pierce, Kyrie O'Connor and P.J. O'Rourke.

I was in the first slot of the show, and I got to be introduced to the panelists and say hello. Pierce and O'Connor are two of my favorites, so I was thrilled to get that draw.

I played "Who's Carl This Time" in which Carl Kasell reads quotes from the weekly news. I got all three questions right, two of which were about actual news!

So sometime soon I'll receive a CD with Carl's message for my answering machine. I've already been threatened by a few friends that if I ever answer my phone again, they'll kill me because they want to hear Kasell's message. :D

Anyway, forgive my self-promotion and complete geekiness, but it's my favorite show. And now that my heart rate has finally slowed, I felt I could type about it. :D

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Re: OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...

Congrats IJAG!

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Congrats.

It's actually kinda odd-good odd to have a game show thread without having to tell the lucky contestant where the best restaurants in Culver City/Venice/Santa Monica are.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

The daughter of one of my best friends was on the Smarter than a Fifth-Grader show tonight. She won $50k.

5. imjustagirl

Thanks, Mr. I Rain On Others' Parades!

Seriously, congrats to her.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Way to go, Dork!

7. Re: OK, it's my turn to be on a game show...

Never heard of it, but I'm listening to the March 15 show right now. When does your show post to the site?

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Congrats IJAG!

When is SportsJournalists.com going to put together a contingent to compete in the World Series of Pop Culture?

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That's terrific! Nice work. I listen to that show a lot and think it's hilarious. It airs Saturday mornings in my area.

I particularly like the segment where three panelist talk about three bizarre news stories and the contestant has to decide which one is actually true.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ah, fuck that. When are we going to put together a team to beat Vegas at blackjack? :D

And Wait, Wait ... Don't Tell Me is one of the coolest shows ever. You go, IJAG! ;D

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Sweet! I love that show! Will your part be on this weekend?

Just too bad you missed Tom Bodett.

12. imjustagirl

It will air this weekend. And If I had my druthers, Roy Blount Jr. would have replaced O'Rourke. Nothing against P.J. But I adore Roy.

Either him, or Paula Poundstone.

Draft saved Draft deleted