1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, i done gone set Facebook on fire. In honor of Reagan's stirring Challenger speech:

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I heard an interview with the NASA historian and he said one reason that NASA wanted to launch was because it had an ambitious schedule for the year. They wanted 12 missions in 1986 and the delays were obviously putting that in trouble.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Right, one of the big selling points for the shuttle as a launch system was supposed to be quick turnaround.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Is that John C. McGinley?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He has been in a lot of Stone's movies.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Damn right, Sgt. Barnes.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Finally getting around to watching the NatGeo special "Challenger Disaster: Lost Tapes" and it's tearing me up with all the behind-the-scenes footage of McAuliffe during the run up and the inherent, unintentional dramatic irony. Anyone else watch it?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not watching. It was hard enough the first time.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I watched it. The reaction of those in the viewing stands and those kids in schools - ugh.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Anybody remember watching it in school? I think during elementary school we semi-regularly watched launches in the classroom. I don't remember watching the Challenger even though I grew up as few towns over from where Mcauliffe taught. My memory is that the teacher came into the classroom shaken up and either she announced it or it was done over the P.A. We may have watched the news after.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I watched it live on CNN.

At the time both my dad and I were working the 4 p.m.-1 a.m. shift working on different newspapers. I had started a month earlier as SE of a small daily about 40 miles front my hometown and I was commuting from home to save on rent.
    So the whole house was on the vampire schedule, rolling out of bed about 11, and we were sitting around the breakfast room table having coffee as the launch went up.

In the Sixties and Seventies, I was a total space geek; I could tell you every technical detail about every flight.
    By the Eighties I wasn't quite such a NASA guru any more, but I still kept up with the basics, so when the shuttle broke up, I blurted out, "holy shit!!!" Which alerted my parents to the fact something big had happened.

I knew exactly what the deal was: there was no escape system on the shuttle, so if anything went wrong before the SRBs jettisoned, the crew was finished. All the crap they talked about with "bailout options" was nonsense.

My dad was the wire editor at his paper; I said, "you better call downtown and tell them to get ready for a big night."

Within 15-20 minutes both of us were hot off to work. Neither of us got home until about 3 a.m.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted