1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, gamers: XBox360 or PS3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. I don't think there is any doubt the 360 is the king right now and for a variety of reasons:

1) The longer Sony has shortages with the PS3, the more people will turn to the 360 for their next-gen fix.

2) The days of exclusive titles are not what they used to be. GTA IV is coming out for both systems in October. There is talk of Metal Gear Solid, a PS exclusive for so many years, coming to the 360. Unless a game is being developed by Sony or Microsoft Studios, there is always a great chance third-party games end up on both systems, which makes the most business sense for those developers.

3) The online service of the 360 is top notch. While the PS3's service is free, it comes nowhere close to matching the depth of the 360 and Microsoft.

4) Games like Halo and Gears of War have massive followings. The only Playstation title with such a following was GTA, but is gone now.

5) It's more expensive for companies to develop games for the PS3 because the technology involved. I know the ps3 have 60 GB of space, but who comes close to using that on their PCs or Macs? Unless you're a game developer of musician, no one.

6) 360 is cheaper and I think better bang for the buck because it really can become the center of a home entertainment system, thus the name 360.

7) Are people really going to start dishing out $30 for a Blu-Ray movie? I don't think so. Plus the 360 offers a HD-DVD attachment for $200, and I believe HD-DVDs are $5-$6 cheaper.

8) A lot of viedo game websites like ign.com have done comparisons with the games available for both systems and their really isn't much of a difference between the two. In some cases, the 360 had the better graphics.

9) I'm still up in the air about the Wii. I agree if you really want fun games that cut out alot of the strategy, etc, then you go for the Wii. Plus it's a totally different experience because of the sensor remote. Plus, at some point every game for the original NES, Super NES, N64, Sega, and TurboGraphix 16 will be available to purchase online. That alone, for me anyway, is a reason to by the system, which I will at some point.

Hope that helps.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Thanks, everybody.

I think I was mostly looking for a reason not to get the PS3. Looks like the 360 or the Wii. May try renting them both (hadn't thought of that).

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I doubt blu-ray discs will be that expensive for very long. They'll come down the way DVDs did. At first they were $22-$30, but as they got more market penetration and booted VHS tapes off the shelves, the prices came down. Same will happen with blu-ray.

PS3 is only $600 if you get the 60GB version, which -- as someone else pointed out -- seems a bit excessive. Get the 20GB version and save some dough.

You'll save initially on the 360, but if you buy the hd-dvd attachment, you're suddenly up in the PS3 range anyway and, personally, I think blu-ray is going to win the next-gen DVD war (having Sony backing the format is HUGE). And for online, you have pay the monthly subscription fee which is outright asinine.

I don't have the PS3, but I'll pick one up in a few months when, you know, they're available.

All that said, I doubt you can go wrong with PS3 or 360. Both are going to have pluses and minuses and some pretty kickass games.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Yeah, Betamax and Memory Sticks are both dominating the market! ::)

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

One of my co-worker's boyfriend got a Wii.
    She told me she was pretty sore after playing it.
    Some potential there, huh?

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

"The PlayStation 3 will retail for 599 U.S. dollars"

And that's why you get a Wii or 360 (or both for that kind of money)

7. I have an original NES, which I use (periodically) to play Punch-Out, Baseball Stars, the real Zelda and Tecmo/Super Tecmo. That's all I need. Maybe I'll borrow dog's Wii ...

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I've heard good things about the Nintendo 64. I may rent that and see how I like it.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I love my NES and really love my SNES. My N64 doesn't receive as much love, if any.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Anybody play Zelda on N64?

That's really the only reason I want to borrow/steal one for a couple weeks, just to play a Zelda game.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

That's the only reason why I wanted one for christmas way back in the day. Zelda, Goldeneye and Madden were awesome.

Draft saved Draft deleted