1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, gamers: XBox360 or PS3

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Dec 6, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Ignoring the fact I won't be able to find a PS3 for months ...

Which should I get? Pretty much all I play are sports games and the occasional shooter. Got a 42-inch HDTV.

What do y'all think?

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm with hoops. Go with the Wii.

You get a 360 or PS3, what's the most you can expect? Slightly better graphics? BFD.

At least with the Wii you've got some different shit going on. And from my limited experience with the system, it's some pretty cool different shit.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

We just had this very conversation in my office not too long ago, and someone with far more interest and technical know-how on the subject than I says the decision boils down to two things: what games you like to play, and what else (if anything) you'll use the system for. If your gaming system is going to be a multi-tasker in terms of your entertainment options, you should get the 360, as it is (to the best of my recollection) the only one of three currently able to play DVDs and process games in HD. If your gaming system is just going to function as a gaming system, then it's probably a tossup, depending upon what kinds of games you like.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

TurboGrafx?

9. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

My funny little hunny and I saw the Wii commercials over the last couple of days and it looked like a lot of fun.

We were considering renting one for a New Years party. Kinda thought it would be a gereat icebreaker.

Has anyone actually played any games with the wireless thingie (techincal term)

Is it any good?

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Get the Wii if you care more about fun games and a good experience while not caring for a DVD player, killer graphics, and HD.

Get the 360 if you're down with Microsoft exclusive's (Halo and others), using your console as a multimedia machine (media center), killer graphics, and the best on-line service (Xbox Live)

Get the PS3 if you want to spend $600 on a machine with hardly no titles (as of now), blu-ray (if you care, yawn), and hype.

If you're going to be playing titles that are on all three machines and you want nice graphics and will be playing online, I'd suggest the 360. If you want to try something new, go for the Wii. I'm getting the 360 here pretty soon (love my modded xbox) and hopefully once Nintendo puts a bundle together, I'll get the Wii.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

My wife's best friend had a Wii on Thanksgiving. It actually belonged to the friend's husband, who is a parapalegic. I played it for a few minutes, and my 3-year-old son was able to play as well. It can be fun, but I suspect that it will get old quickly without the addition of some new games, and particularly games that have a little more complexity to them. I played the baseball game. The pitches always went across the same part of the plate no matter how they were thrown.

For my money, I'd go with a Commodore 64.

12. I'm a 360 guy. Great system. I don't have an HD monitor, and the graphics still blow me away.

Tons of titles. All hardware kinks are settled. DVD playback in HD. Games in HD.

Sounds like we have a winner.

Wii ... I don't think I'll ever be on that bandwagon. Nintendo is so 1994. Yay, I can use a controller to swipe swords at a ninja. Sweet. What happens when it's time for me to play Halo or GTA? What? There's more than just swords?

"No Coke, Pepsi. Cheeburger, Cheeburger, Cheeburger, Cheeburger."

Draft saved Draft deleted