1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK folks, that time of the year again...and your Xmas bonus is????

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

We were going to give you a gift certificate, but OK

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Office party and some sort of gift card. Probably from Walmart

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Only bonus we're getting is Friday's employee Christmas party. Items will be raffled and we get a free dinner, but that's about it.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I freelance, so I'm actually getting a decent bonus by filling in for all the people getting their furlough and vacation days in before the end of the year.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I have no idea. Just two months into my current gig and I don't even know what the Christmas schedule is. Considering the paper was just sold I'll settle for keeping my job.

6. nck228

nck228 Member

Two words:

Newsroom. Karaoke.

7. rascalface

rascalface Member

My first shop 10ish years ago, the publisher went around the newsroom handing out envelopes. I was pleasantly surprised. Then I opened said envelope and discovered a shitty card with a coupon for $5 off the purchase of a turkey at the local grocery store. Yippee.

When I started at my current shop about eight years ago, I had only been there a month but still got a check for $100 or so. Sadly, those Christmas bonuses have gone away over the years.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Before someone walks in and hands me a Christmas bonus, I'd prefer a reinstatement of the company's contribution to our 401k.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Me too.

My most memorable one was two years ago, when we got to pick one of a handful of envelopes from the publisher's hand, a few of which were for an extra full day of paid vacation or a half. Of course, the guy who's been in composing for 30 years and has about two months of vacation a year got one of the fulls, and I got a half.

I'm salaried. What am I going to do with a half-day of vacation?

FML.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

It came today! The announcement of first-quarter '12 furloughs!

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

We'll have a small lunch party one day next week. Paper will provide the basics (meat and bread) and the rest is pot luck. I guess small blessings and all that.

Oh, and because of remaining vacation days, regular off days and holidays for Christmas and New Years, when I leave here at the end of the night on the 22nd, I won't be back until Jan. 3. Hopefully, I'll still have a job.

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

We got a $25 gift card to Meier. And a 15% off coupon from Meier that expired ... two days before they handed out the bonuses!

Draft saved Draft deleted