1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, figure this one out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colin Dunlap, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

I have been trying like hell to picture this one in my mind. It was on Breaking News on our paper's site today, I must have read it 10 times and can't figure it out.
    Honestly, any idea/theory/thoughts on this strange occurrence?
    Just seems tremendously weird.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10199/1073671-100.stm

Motorcyclist hits deer, then kills himself
    Sunday, July 18, 2010
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Westmoreland County man struck a deer while on his motorcycle and then fatally shot himself in the head, according to state police.

William M. Amos, 47, of Export, died Friday around 1 a.m. on Route 819 in Salem.

Authorities initially thought Mr. Amos, who was not wearing a helmet, died from crash-related injuries.

But police discovered a pistol at the scene, and an autopsy later confirmed that Mr. Amos died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound of the head, according to a state police news release today.

The troopers investigating the case were not available for comment.

Investigators were awaiting toxicology results before closing the case.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Death by deer? The gun was just the backup plan?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Guess he was overcome by guilt after killing Bambi.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Either that or maybe he was so badly injured and he knew it that he wanted to put himself out of his misery

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Did the deer shoot him before he expired?

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was the deer carcass found at the scene or did it run away? The deer could have shot the guy and then planted the gun. They're sneaky bastards -- and they're pissed about the whole "hunting" thing.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

#fearthedeer

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds like a Stephen King story.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I got it -- he figured if they took him to the hospital he'd be put in a room with someon who was watching the British Open and he decided he'd rather shoot himself than be forced to watch that junk......[\crossthread]

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Tragic story. I'm sure, as zagoshe said, he felt he needed to put himself out of the pain. I had a friend last year who was riding his Vespa scooter at 11 a.m. - when deer usually are not out and about - and one jumped out and crashed into him. He died on the scene.

Still, reading the story in the post reminded me of this:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Russians don't take a dump without a plan.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Could he have been so messed up that he thought he hit and killed a person? If this were a CSI episode, that might be the answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted