1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, figure this one out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colin Dunlap, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

I have been trying like hell to picture this one in my mind. It was on Breaking News on our paper's site today, I must have read it 10 times and can't figure it out.
    Honestly, any idea/theory/thoughts on this strange occurrence?
    Just seems tremendously weird.

Motorcyclist hits deer, then kills himself
    Sunday, July 18, 2010
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Westmoreland County man struck a deer while on his motorcycle and then fatally shot himself in the head, according to state police.

William M. Amos, 47, of Export, died Friday around 1 a.m. on Route 819 in Salem.

Authorities initially thought Mr. Amos, who was not wearing a helmet, died from crash-related injuries.

But police discovered a pistol at the scene, and an autopsy later confirmed that Mr. Amos died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound of the head, according to a state police news release today.

The troopers investigating the case were not available for comment.

Investigators were awaiting toxicology results before closing the case.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Death by deer? The gun was just the backup plan?
  3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Guess he was overcome by guilt after killing Bambi.
  4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Either that or maybe he was so badly injured and he knew it that he wanted to put himself out of his misery
  5. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Did the deer shoot him before he expired?
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Was the deer carcass found at the scene or did it run away? The deer could have shot the guy and then planted the gun. They're sneaky bastards -- and they're pissed about the whole "hunting" thing.
  7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sounds like a Stephen King story.
  9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I got it -- he figured if they took him to the hospital he'd be put in a room with someon who was watching the British Open and he decided he'd rather shoot himself than be forced to watch that junk......[\crossthread]
  10. Tragic story. I'm sure, as zagoshe said, he felt he needed to put himself out of the pain. I had a friend last year who was riding his Vespa scooter at 11 a.m. - when deer usually are not out and about - and one jumped out and crashed into him. He died on the scene.

Still, reading the story in the post reminded me of this:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Russians don't take a dump without a plan.
  12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Could he have been so messed up that he thought he hit and killed a person? If this were a CSI episode, that might be the answer.
Draft saved Draft deleted