1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, DVD and computer experts ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Jul 5, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Got great help here before with my torrents issue, so I'm back for more.

Burned a high-definition game (not a video game, Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals) I downloaded onto a Memorex DVD-RW disc with a trial version of Nero. It plays beautifully on my computer, but my DVD player won't read the disc. I'm using an RCA RC6000P player, and the instruction manual says it won't play DVD-ROM discs. Does that mean I'm SOL on anything I try to burn?

Any suggestions, technogeniuses? I'm about to pull my hair out.

Edit: Not a video game, but an actual broadcast.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You should still be able to play movies that you burn, unless it's an older model DVD player. I wouldn't think a DVD player would ever play video games.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My bad. Edited to reflect that it's a hockey broadcast I downloaded, not a video game.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'm not a technogenius, but I think it does. If the DVD player is more than a few years old, it won't be compatible with certain media.

I ran into this problem when I was burning stuff for a buddy of mine who had an older player. When I burned him stuff on a DVD+R (which is different from a DVD-RW or even a DVD-R) it wouldn't play. But I bought a new spindle of DVD-R's and they work fine in his player.

However, if you have a PC or a laptop with any kind of DVD drive (ROM, +R, -R, or -RW) it should play.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Yeah, it plays like a charm on my computer, so I know the burn and the disc are good.

So, I guess what I don't fully understand is this: Are DVD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+RW and DVD+R all considered DVD-ROM? If so, I'm pretty sure I'm out of luck. And, if anyone is really ambitious, WTF is the difference between the four?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

RW is rewritable. R means you can write it only once.

Not sure on the RW+ or the R+

edit: DVD+RW

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, I found a page that explains the four. And I'm still not sure WTF I need to do. ???

Regardless, thanks for the help.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Thanks a bunch. That's what I was afraid of.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Well for the time being, if you have an S-video out in your vid card (for PC) or one in the back of your laptop, you can just use an adaptor and run it to your TV; change the monitor settings and such,

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You said it's a trial version of Nero.

Is it possible that the trial version doesn't "finish" the DVD so that it may be used on a regular DVD player? That would not be a surprise with a trial version of a program.

I would check any help files which came with Nero and see what they say. Check Nero's website and see if there's any FAQs there as well.

Also check your owner's manual for your RCA player. It should say which types of DVDs work with it. (For example, my Panasonic player will read and record on DVD-RW, but not DVD+RW.) I think someone already mentioned that DVD-ROM is not the same as the other DVD types.

BTW, I have Nero and I love it. I just haven't gotten around to burning DVDs with it as my laptop doesn't have a DVD burner. And I'm never on the desktop computer which does -- can never get it away from the kids. :D

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some DVDs work better than others. I have some OfficeMax brand ones I had to use as frisbees because they wouldnt play in anything but my comouters or my DVD recorder... Once I changed to real brands like TDK, Sony or Phillips, they worked fine.
    Be sure the version of Nero allowed you to finalize the disc...

Draft saved Draft deleted