1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, Dems you've had your fun. Now, who would HRC choose as a running mate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sept 10, 2001?

Cripes, I hope you don't really believe that bullshit.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would not want VP on Clinton ticket if I were Obama - You would always be the 3rd wheel and have to take orders from 2 Clintons.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sometimes I don't think you read what I write.

I think for many candidates, Obama would be willing to put the good of the nation and the good of the party ahead of his personal ambition.

But he has fundamental differences with Hillary regarding what's good for the country and good for the party.

Therefore, I don't think he's going to stick his name on that ticket.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Hillary and Barack agree on many, many things.
    Barack is trying to make a slick move and align with Reagan, somehow, and paint himself as a different kind of Democrat, but that doesn't fundamentally change that on some matters of policy him and Hillary agree.
    Barack's campaign has been marked with more lies and half-truths, but you can't say that, apparently, without getting blasted.
    Hillary, in the end, will be loyal to the Democratic Party. Barack is yet to be seen, but if his supporters won't vote for another candidate, then yes, Hillary's chances are weakened, but I still don't think enough to lose.
    Barack still has a chance at history and, eventually, the presidency.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Read Kay Graham's book for a fascinating perspective at how the JFK/LBJ ticket was formed. It was basically Phil Graham's persistence that won over LBJ. Bobby Kennedy, in particular, was absolutely opposed to LBJ on his brother's ticket.

But Kennedy couldn't have won without him. And Johnson, if he had won the nomination, didn't have a chance against Nixon.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Align himself with Reagan? For fuck's sake, read something. That's not what he said. It's been debunked.

Here, I'll even do your homework for you.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/clinton-obama_slugfest.html

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Clinton-Obama wins, he's vice president.
    If Clinton-Obama loses, he's Senator Obama, head of the Democratic party. Nobody'll be blaming him.
    If Clinton-Somebody Else wins, Senator Obama is just another backbencher who gets on Meet the Press a lot, a Joe Biden for the 21st century.
    If Clinton-Somebody Else loses, and it gets out, as it will get out long before the election, that Obama turned down being on the ticket, his future in national politics disappears.
    If Clinton offers him the job, he'll accept. He'd be stupid not to, and he sure doesn't strike me as stupid.

8. JayFarrar

OBAMA, STATEMENT 1: I think Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory of America in a way that Richard Nixon did not and in a way that Bill Clinton did not. He put us on a fundamentally different path because the country was ready for it. I think they felt like with all the excesses of the 1960s and 1970s and government had grown and grown but there wasn't much sense of accountability in terms of how it was operating. I think peopleā€”he just tapped into what people were already feeling, which was we want clarity, we want optimism, we want a return to that sense of dynamism and entrepreneurship that had been missing.

OBAMA, STATEMENT 2: I think it is fair to say the Republicans were the party of ideas for a pretty long chunk of time over the last 10, 15 years, in the sense they were challenging conventional wisdom. Now, you've heard it all before. You look at the economic policies when they're being debated among the presidential candidates, and it's all tax cuts. Well, you know, we've done that, we tried it. That's not really going to solve our energy problems.

What Hillary said...
    CLINTON (1/21/08): I do think that your record and what you say does matter. And when it comes to a lot of the issues that are important in this race, it is sometimes difficult to understand what Senator Obama has said, because as soon as he is confronted on it, he says that's not what he meant.

The facts are that he has said in the last week that he really liked the ideas of the Republicans over the last 10 to 15 years, and we can give you the exact quote. Now, I personally think they had ideas, but they were bad ideas. They were bad ideas for America.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What's your point? I know what he said. I've seen the transcript. I know what she said. I saw the debate live. And the link I provided proves she's full of shit.

Again, what's your point?

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Oh, okay, Sept. 12.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yep, you're still a fucking prick. And an embarrassment to this country.

12. JayFarrar

By Barack saying that he thinks Ronald Reagan changed the trajectory and that the Republicans were the party of ideas, he's trying to align himself.
    It really is kind of obvious.
    And the fact check web site refers back to a Clinton speech in '98 when he was dedicating a building in Reagan's name. What did they expect him to say, that Reagan was an addled old fool who sold weapons to terrorists?
    C'mon.
    Hillary, accurately, pointed out what Barack was doing and it is just good to see that the irrational hatred of all things Clinton extends to Barack's supporters as well.

And what day was it when Bush read the PDB that Osama was poised to attack? Sometime in August?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.