1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OK, bike-a-holics, here's your chance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Moddy, just stick with the Trek. I take mine around town, and ride it downtown to and from work sometimes. It's a gem.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So glad you're reading it and got into it as much as I did, Moddy. :) Good luck with the biking in your future!

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I did a new machine in the workout room today. First time maybe ever I've enjoyed a workout. Moves your arms and legs at the same time? The kid running the joint said, "You will love this one. It will kick your ass!"
    He was right.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

An eliptical or arc trainer?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Root around in here, too, Moddy:

http://www.bikeforums.net/index.php

Pretty genial bunch.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Trek's are good, but I've had a Specialized hybrid for several years ($400 or so at a bike shop), and it's been great. Taken it on the road, the beach and dirt/gravel for extended rides. Mrs. Editude likes hers as well.

7. Moderator1

Shit. I don't know. I moved my arms and legs at the same time and gave up a lot of sweat.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Elipticals are great.
    I don't consider myself cheap, but I wouldn't pay $300 for a bike I'm going to ride around my neighborhood.
    Get something really inexpensive, see if you stick with it for a year and then upgrade.
    Adults should approach exercise equipment the same way they approach getting musical instruments/lessons for their kids.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Good stuff here- I echo the warnings against road bikes...a hybrid is the way to go. If you plan on riding mostly on paths and roads in good condition, a hybrid that's more toward the road bike side is the way to go. If you'll be riding on dirt roads or paths, or crappy roads with potholes and gravel, maybe a hybrid more toward the mountain side...as long as you don't care how slow you go.

I have a bad back and shouldn't run for exercise. Bicycling has saved my health. Enjoy...pretty soon, you'll be on your bike, not to exercise, but just because it's fun.

I have two bikes- an old cruiser that I take around town and a mountain bike-ish hybrid that's slower than cold molasses but sturdy as hell. You also might want to think about getting a cheap cruiser just for fun. Cruisers are the most comfortable to ride...you can get a bargain retro-styled cruiser for $100. I love cruisers...less moving parts that need attention and it's just nice to ride in a more upright position.

10. The Big Ragu

And it looked something like this?

[​IMG]

11. Moderator1

Sort of - wasn't a Precor but that's the general idea.

12. The Big Ragu

Buck, $300 isn't that much for a bicycle. A decent (but not race quality) road bike will cost you $1,000+. A decent one upwards of $2K. $300 to $500 is the starting point for a bike that isn't going to do you possible injury, have iffy braking, etc. To me, it's not the kind of thing I'd play around with if I can afford it. Mass-merchandised bikes are made cheap, and in many cases they are dangerous--if they don't fall apart. The starting point really is in the $400 range and you are not getting much bike for that. You want to go into a reputable bike shop and make sure you get fitted right. THAT can be the difference between sticking with it or not. Riding an ill-fitted, poor-quality bike is just a bad idea to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted